Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby, it's cold outside!

Posted by dirtygardener73 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 9:22

And I didn't check the weather yesterday! I don't watch t.v., so I have to check on Accuweather. It got down to 33 here, according to accuweather, but it's probably a few degrees warmer here with all the apartments forming a baffle around the pond. Thank heaven, because I didn't bring in the plants! They don't look like they are damaged, but we all know how that goes. I won't know until I get them inside and they warm up.

I'm not used to being in a place where it gets cold. I need to get used to checking those low temps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby, it's cold outside!

It was 41 here last night in North Port. When we bought this house three years ago, I never dreamed it got so cold this far south :) Goes to show what I know! (After the last two winters, I now know that it gets even colder!)
Marcia

o

42 here but the lake we are on helps some.

o

Not happy - also didn't know it was getting this cold and didn't cover the plants. :-( Sure hope my 'maters hold up OK.

I'm fine losing the green beans and other warm stuff but not happy if the limas and tomatoes die off right now they are both in FULL bloom and growing like gangbusters!

Barbie

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 8, 11 at 14:26

I am downtown St Pete, and on my front-porch this morning it was right at 50, and the thermometer on the back window of the house, facing north, was 48... being close to the water helps to warm it a bit.... I didn't bring anything inside nor did I cover.....but I'm ready !! sally

o

Forgot to water today, but brought them all in anyway. Only supposed to get to 32,so I guess the Crown of Thorns will be fine with a blanket over it. It survived 25 degrees last year in North Port. Got frozen back a lot, even covered, but came back from the roots. I left the Aloe outside and the Clivia, and pulled all the cold-tolerant things up next to the sliding glass door where the indoor heat can radiate out to them. I really need to repot that COT in a plastic pot! It's not going to survive here if I can't bring it in. It's sad enough that it doesn't get enough sun to bloom. I'm thinking about asking my next door neighbor if I can put it on his patio. He never uses his patio, and it gets more sun than mine.

My poor desertrose has lost all its leaves. I can't wait for spring so I can cut it back. It loses leaves every winter, but it's never gone completely bare before. This place just is not good for it. I hope that by the time my lease is up, I'll have enough money to move to a better place for me and the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here