Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Hummer Migration

I thought hummers (hummingbirds, not the huge gas-guzzling behemoths that never seem to fit in a parking spot) were supposed to migrate to the tropics in October/November, but I have a female Ruby-Throated that visits my pentas and salvias every morning and evening. Is anyone else still seeing hummers in their gardens?

Comments (7)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I think they stop to rest and refuel. For such a tiny bird they travel an awesome distance. Not many people put feeders out on my street. One hummer site recommended leaving at least one feeder up all year round for the late comers.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I think they stop to rest and refuel. For such a tiny bird they travel an awesome distance. Not many people put feeders out on my street. One hummer site recommended leaving at least one feeder up all year round for the late comers.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi.
    i see them in winter only, usually disappear by March. Apparently they don't all migrate ? The painted buntings always return on my birthday Oct 2 (Coincidently I suppose ??lol) Gone by the first part of May . Never seem to get any of the other buntings finches. gary

• Tom
    9 years ago

The migration of Ruby-throated hummingbirds to most of the USA starts at the beginning of March and then most return to Mexico and Central America by early to late October. Some return to these areas starting in August.

There are some overwintering Ruby-throateds along the Gulf Coast and in south/central to south Florida in the winter months. I don't think anyone knows if the ones we see in the winter months are the same ones that were here the years before.

There are a number of other types of hummingbirds--mostly Rufous, but also some Black-chinned and Calliope and others that appear in Florida in the fall and winter.

I live in Clermont, which is about twenty miles due west of Orlando. I have seen some hummers every month for the last two years, but I haven't seen a hummer for almost a month now. I have lots of flowers for them and two feeders out, but no takers at the moment.

Congratulation, Leekle2manE. I'm envious.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    I have a hedge of Cape Honeysuckle ,seems to be the big draw for them Have never seen other species other than RT. but who knows I feel Im lucky to spot them let alone identify one lol Have to admire people who get pix of them When I was in Costa Rica there was an outdoor bar on the Pacific coast that had feeders out and there were dozens of them . Couldn't identify any except I don't think they were RT. gary

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

For me on the east coast, the hummers show up around Oct and stay until about Mar. I have lots of plants here for them to feed on. :o)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Summer of '13 was my first time seeing hummers in my yard. They were sporadic at best and a welcome surprise as I wasn't really trying to attract them. By October last year they were non-existant. This season I see one most mornings and evenings I am working in the gardens and it is always a female Ruby. Is it the same one each time? I am not sure, but she seems to be. She is the only hummer to visit that is willing to fly within 15 ft of me, almost every other has kept a very safe distance and flitted off at slightest movement. Which makes me quite envious of people who get good pics of them as well, I can barely get a camera in position before they take exception to me and fly off.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions