Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TOMATO - Vegetable Cultivar Descriptions for North America

Posted by loufloralcityz9 Z 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 10:18

Good info on the different Tomato Cultivars. Edited by John W. Scott, Gulf Coast REC, University of Florida, Bradenton.

Tomato Cultivars (A to I) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatoai.html

Tomato Cultivars (J to R) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatojr.html

Tomato Cultivars (S to Z) lists 1-26 Combined;

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatosz.html

Lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TOMATO - Vegetable Cultivar Descriptions for North America

Lou,

That is one long list! lol. Did you decide what to plant already or are you just making the decisions? let us know...

Silvia

o

Sylvia,
For tomatoes I'm starting, Pakmore, Tomato Blue, Better Boy, Bush Goliath, Jetsetter F1, Green Sausage, Northern Nibbler, Golden Jubilee, so far and will add more as I look through my seed stash in the freezer.

For Eggplant I'm starting, Orlando Eggplant, Black Beauty, Snow White, Red Gilo, Thai Yellow, Toga Stripes, so far and will add more.

I haven't decided yet on peppers, I have to look through my seed stash.

This is the very earliest of my seed starting as I'm a few weeks behind you in zone 9A
Lou

o

Lou, I'm hoping to be down there at my place in z9a by early march to plant up a good garden, and stay about two months so I can eat some of the produce. Thinking about something a bit crazy like starting a few toms here around feb1 and bring the plants with me in the car.

I've got cherokee purple and orange brandywine, and I'm eyeing chocolate striped and purple cherry in the catalog......

o

pnbrown,

That sounds like a doable idea, you might want to also start some determinates (bush tomato) as they are more compact and would travel better and you could even start those a few weeks earlier for an earlier crop when you get here.

Just make sure the pots are wedged in tightly for the trip because they will slide with hard braking and/or curves at highway exits.

Lou

o

Pat

The big problem will be if they don't let you take the plants in, a lot of states don't. I had to leave a truck full of container plants behind in Arizona, Mass laws did not allowed to get plants in. All the plants I gave away to the dog groomer, she did not believe her luck! came with a big truck and took it all away. At least somebody was happy.:)

Lou, after Christmas I will be making final decisions on what to grow, so many choices, so little time. lol

Silvia

o

pnbrown,

OOPS, I forgot all about the State of Florida not letting you bring live plants into the state. You might get stopped at the border and your plants confiscated at the checkpoint. A car might be able to drive right on by the checkpoint if they are covered with a blanket or inside some cardboard boxes.

Lou

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 22, 10 at 17:20

I didn't know there was a 'checkpoint', I've never been stopped and 'checked'... in fact, I brought a Christmas Cactus back from Quebec several years ago, from my sister-in-law, and Customs didn't say anything it was right in the front seat in a box... nobody even asked.... sally

o

There is no checkpoint unless one is driving a truck over a certain size. If one has live plants I suppose one is supposed to be aware of whether they are allowed or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here