Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What time of the year does Mango bloom?

Posted by nfmgirl 10b Cape Coral, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 10:20

I have what I believe to be a large mango tree in my newly acquired jungle. I found gardening notes in the home when I bought it, and they outlined many of the plants in the garden and their care. It mentioned that the mango tree should bloom "this year" (whenever these notes were written), although it had never bloomed yet.

The tree looks full and healthy. I don't have access to any daylight pics of it right now, but it is quite large:
Big mango

And a close-up shows the healthy-looking leaves:
Mango up close

So I'm wondering whether it should already be in bloom, or if would be more like January or February, if it were going to bloom at all. I thought that I read somewhere that they bloom "in winter".

Thank you!

Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What time of the year does Mango bloom?

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 13:23

Hi Heather, it is more likely to flower in late winter to early spring, but they can sometimes flower somewhat out of season. Factors such as fertilization, watering, production the previous year can play a part. Withholding water and fertilization until later in the warm season next year will increase your chances of it flowering, as stress induces flower production. They don't require much fertilizer anyhow. Homegrown mangos is tasty!

Gary

o

• Posted by nfmgirl 10b Cape Coral, FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 10, 08 at 21:13

Thanks for the info, Gary. I'll try to be patient and see what happens!

Heather

o

Hi Heather,

We have a huge Haden mango tree in our yard which is about 35 years old. It's so large we've had to have it cut back some every few years. The mangoes are large and delicious. Some years we get so many we have to cut them up and freeze them. They are wonderful in cobblers and mango bread.

Our tree usually starts to flower in late December or January. As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'm going to check it to see if any blossoms are forming. I think some varieties flower a little later than the Haden. We usually start eating mangoes in June and into July.

Happy gardening!

Sheri :-)

o

Thu, Dec 11, 08 at 13:25

Thank you, Sheri! I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. The house is only four years old, so I know that the tree can't be more than four. Maybe it's just a little "slow".

Heather

o

I also live in Lee county and my hayden is blooming now. Give it a little time your tree looks healthy.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 0:30

That's a huge tree for four years old, wow. Maybe its a very vigorous growing var. such as Valencia Pride or Bailey's Marvel. A couple of my 18 vars are flowering now, but most are not yet.

Gary

o

Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 12:01

I went out and checked my mango tree today, and I can see some little buds in the center of the leaves. Unfortunately since I am new to gardening, I have no way of knowing whether these buds are flower buds or leaf buds. So only time will tell for me...

o

Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 14:32

Okay, I'm thinking these are flower buds, aren't they? I went around the mango tree to the sunny side, and I saw a bunch of these:
Photobucket

Photobucket

These are flower buds, right? I'm not imagining things?

While checking, I also spotted some problem areas. What causes the white webbing that you see in leaves?
Photobucket

I couldn't get any good shots, but did see a few problem areas. Do I just remove the problem area? Or is this reason for real concern?

Also what about the white powdery stuff at the base of some of the leaves (seen in the photos above) or the yellowing of some leaves (also seen in the problem photo above).

Thanks!

Heather

o

Hi Heather,

I would like to say your tree is Beautiful and Big!! Mine are very small compared to yours...

I'm pretty excited , I took these yesterday...I planted these trees 20 months ago, so this is the first time these trees are flowering for me. I am trying not to get my hopes up too high though, since I live in (central florida), we've had an unusually cold Fall so far, already had two or three light frost on the grass in the mornings. So I'm sure there will be a frost that will zap these flowers and kill it...:o(

I posted a picture of what you have to look forward to!

You should be able to tell in a few days or so, it does look like they could be blooms, but also that is how new
leaves start. But my guess is it is probably flowers? I will cross my fingers for you!

About your powdery mildew, I am pretty new to growing mangoes but you could spray it with some type of fungicide? But I would wait till the more knowledgeable members here have to say.

Here is a great link I found that explains several diseases of Mango trees and if you scroll down you will see powdery mildew...Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Powdery Mildew

o

Heather,
I have nine (9) varieties of mango here in Fort Myers. All of them are blooming, the early varieties and the late ones. If your mango tree is not grafted, it may take few more years before it blooms. Seedlings take longer to produce fruits. If you take a look at the base of the trunk, you could see if your mango is grafted.

o

Wed, Dec 17, 08 at 15:44

I believe that I have blooms in the making! Those buds are looking more and more like flower buds. We'll see how this ends. If I wind up with fruit, I just won't be able to contain myself!

o

If you want fruit I'd suggest a spray with a copper fungicide once the flowers elongate and again when you see pea sized fruit.

o

nfmgirl,

How's your mango blooms coming along? And everyone else's? My very young mango trees are all blooming...but since we still have appx. 7-8 weeks of winter here(south of Orlando), I'm afraid its going to get zapped on the next frost :o(

Let's hope for a frost free winter...

o

Wed, Jan 7, 09 at 11:27

Thanks for asking! So far, so good. Last I checked this weekend, they were getting bigger.

Mango blooms

Mango blooms

We'll see what happens. If it results in a bunch of great-tasting fruit, I just wouldn't know how to contain myself!

Heather

o

Heather,

Thanks for posting those pictures!! Looks like you are going to have a bumper crop...doing the Mango dance for you!

Here's one of my mango trees, this is a Potted Glenn mango, I also have a few young trees planted in the ground. I hope I get to taste at least "One" from this tree.

o

I'm so excited!! My ice cream mango is covered in blooms, i hope to get at least one mango this year from it. My Julie mango doesn't have any flowers yet, but I did notice new growth..fingers crossed.

o

Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 14:12

Wow! Those are some BIG blooms for such a little tree! Is that a special dwarf "patio" mango? Or does it just stay small, because it is kept in a pot? I know that I have a patio orange tree that I've had about 3 or 4 years and it hasn't bloomed yet.

Here's wishing the best for all of us and our mango harvests!

Heather

o

Hi,

All you folks with small mango tree's that are blooming, would suggest that you nip the flowers off for a couple of years. I know that is extremely difficult, but you will be rewarded in spades in a few years. If you have threat of frost with small trees, I would put an old sheet or drop cloth over them. DO NOT USE PLASTIC, you will burn everything it touches if there is frost.

If you have a tree that is larger but has not produced fruit, you might consider spraying it with chelated citrus nutrional spray, I am about to spray my two very large trees. A hayden and a kent. Fertilizing is good while the trees are developing , but too much on a producing tree induces lots of folliage growth. The tree needs to be slightly stressed to produce big yields. My problem is that I tend to get a monster yeild (500 lbs) and then a zippo to tiny yeild the next year.

bernie, west of port st lucie

o

I planted a mango tree from seed and it started blooming about 4 years ago here in Texas. I have had fruit two years in a row and it started blooming maybe a week or 2 ago. It got snow twice. I was scared the first time but it went through it fine. I love my mango tree and I love the fruit. How long does it take your fruit to ripen? Mine is usually ready in August. This pic is from last year
Mango in full bloom

o

Hi Pepa,

You are extrememely lucky to find a seed that produced fruit in that time period plus be able to tolerate snow.

When trees bloom and how long to fruit harvest is apparently a large range. Both my trees are in the blooming process now. The Hayden will be ready in July and the Kent in Sept.

It would be real interesting to plant another seed from your tree and see if you get the same characteristics. If so, it could become a best seller or graft a limb from your current tree.

Bernie

o

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for that tip, this potted tree I've actually had going on three years this summer. The first year I bought it, it did not flower. Last year it had a few flowers, but the fruit didn't survive...I am letting just a few develop if the tree will hold the fruit. If not, then it means the tree is not mature enough.

Pepa,

Beautiful tree!!

I agree with Bernie...you have a special Mango tree there. If that tree survived snow! Wow, everything I have read about them is they are all frost sensitive, since they are tropical fruits. You need to take cuttings from that tree or better yet, when you get fruits, save all your seeds and try planting them all. You might just have a new variety that is cold sensitive? Do you know what type of mango variety it was that you bought? By the way did you cover your mango tree at all when it was snowing? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL...

You should post that picture with your story on the
Tropical fruits forum...I'm sure there are many members that would love to see and hear your success story! Good luck and please keep us posted!

o

Hi guys,

Our approx. 37 year old Haden mango tree is loaded with blossoms. I think I actually saw a few tiny mangoes forming.

Sheri :)

o

I have not tried my hand at grafting my brother took some cuttings but I never asked him if they took. I did plant two of the seeds. One I gave away and the other is planted in my front yard it seems to be doing fine, it snowed a little not like the first time 6" and it seems to be doing fine. I covered the first tree when it was young about 3 years, then it just got too big so I just prayed. The fruit is very large and yellow. It is very,very sweet and the seed is very small. Delicious! I should have taken pictures before eating them all. I just didn't think about it. Here is a picture of the fruit last year, not ripe yet.
mango

o

Pepa,that looks like manila mango.I also heard that manila mango grown from seeds will produce earlier than other variety.Here in so.california manila mango produce very well and cold hardy.By the way you have a nice tree...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here