Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717094

Traveler Palms

User
10 years ago

I have multiple Traveler Palms on the side of my house. There are numerous "suckers" and I was thinking of potting one of them. Can anyone recommend a method of doing so? What type of soil, fertilizer, and so on. I am a novice gardener, so feel free to be elementary in your response.

This post was edited by Gator99 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:42

Comments (10)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    10 years ago

Use a sharp spade and separate it from the mother plant. Have the bucket ready in advance. It might be more successful to wait for spring or in zone 10 March 1. Be sure to water every day. They like water. If your soil is sandy add canadian pete moss. about 50/50. Travelers and its relatives are very responsive to feed. They are not too picky. They like composted manure, epson salts can be used 4 times a year. Good luck

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Okay here's very elementary, What do you do if it grows??
    lol To me , they would seem far too large for a pot ??
    Even as a landscape plant and placed in a "good location " they are a nightmare to manage . Much better choice would be Orange /yellow even white BOP for a large pot??
    Good luck with it !! gary

10 years ago

I have several travelers. The only reason I pot them is to trade or give them away....

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

The trick is to start pruning them when young. If you want a single plant trim the suckers off as soon as they appear. If you start with a small plant most often as they grow they kind of "give up" trying to sucker. Not always but most of the time. If you wait until they are a large established clump it is a constant battle if you do not want a large mass. Same with White Bird of Paradise.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While we are on the subject, what exactly is the difference between a traveler's palm and a white bird of paradise? I know that they are at least close relatives.

10 years ago

I have both. The basic difference is the white bird is smaller. The other relatives are helaconia, bird of paradise, bananas. Is ginger?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Like all flowering plants they are classsified by the flower
    but there are other differences particularly growth habit .
    The travelers palm will form a trunk which carries the foliage in the fantastic fan shape . getting at least twice the height of WBOP which is far more cumping in growth habit though it will form a trunk There are also several subspecies of Strelitzia regina which have slightly different growth habits but remain under 8 feet with no trunks flowers are far more spectacular . Another is S juncea which has tube shaped leaves
    There is also a S. American relative which you almost never see for some reason.
    Google Strelitzia the genus name for more info than you'll ever want to know lol
    gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

Traveler's Trees have big inflorescences that are green. The leaves are a brighter green and "softer", similar to a banana. It is also more tender than WBOP.

White Bird of Paradise has inflorescences with white and blue flowers. The leaves are much thicker and a darker dull green. The individual leavers are also shorter than that of the TT. It is also hardier to cold.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I envy you all with outdoor planted traveler's palms! I tried sprouting some seeds a few years ago but for some reason, none ever sprouted. Maybe they were old...I ordered them from the nursery we are not allowed to post the name of on gweb lol.