Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corpsmancooper

Important ID please

CorpsmanCooper
11 years ago

I have a plant that I really need an ID on. I haven't a clue as to what it is. I'd also like to know soil and light requirements. You see, this plant is very special. It was my husband's grandmother's plant. She passed away in March. This plant was in her bedroom for many many years. It was in the room when she took her last breath. You can see it's been neglected. It has some roots that are rotted. I plan to re-pot it today. With any luck it will thrive with your help. If you could help me in anyway it would be greatly appreciated!

~Erin~

Comments (10)

• annafl
    11 years ago

Hi Erin,

I believe this is a hybrid form of the species anthurium hookeri. This bird's nest anthurium is easy to grow in bright/diffused light. I am in Sarasota and I grow mine outside. I love them and mine get 4-5 feet tall, and very robust. My climate is warmer than yours though and you'll need to grow it in a (clay, not plastic), pot and bring it inside under 40 degrees.

This plant is an epiphyte so it needs excellent drainage. I would plant it in a clay pot with very porous mix and allow roots to wander outside the pot. If you like to water a lot plant it in a tree fern basket for drainage. Mine are under oak canopies. Snails love them, so keep your eyes open. Otherwise no real pests in my yard. Great plant to remember your grandma by! She had good taste.

Enjoy it for many years to come.

Anna

• CorpsmanCooper
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much! Should I trim it back or leave it be?

~Erin~

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

What a beautiful and unusual plant! So sorry to hear hubby's bubby! You may want to solicit advice about this one on the Aroid forum.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Here is the link to Aroid Forum. Please post your photo there, you'll get lots of support.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid Help

• annafl
    11 years ago

Erin, all the leaves look great and healthy. I wouldn't cut any off. If you don't like the brown edges, you can trim them off with a scissors. Also, don't cut any roots off. It looks like it's missing many roots.

Anna

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Hi, Erin - we MUST get together. As for your plant, I have a friend in Panama City who has these in the ground, surrounded by about a foot of mulch, and they survive and get huge.

As for using metal scissors on the leaves, don't do it! The chemicals in the leaves will react to the metal in the scissor blades and they will turn brown or black wherever you cut - use your fingers to tear off the brown OR buy some plastic kindergarten scissors, with no metal on them.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Kay, love your tip for the tips! That rocks!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I learned about it when I worked for an interior plant supplier.

• annafl
    11 years ago

Kay, what a great tip! I never knew that. I will look for a pair of plastic scissors for that purpose. Thanks! I learn something new on GW every time I check in.

Anna

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Merry Christmas!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!