Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know what kind of a tree this is ?

Posted by jofus 9b/10a Englewood (donjose102@aol.com) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 12:20

My neiighbor Tom and I are perplexed as to what kind of a tree he has in his backyard. An attractive looking tree about 15 ft tall with mostly green but also a few yellow & red leaves as well as some dark odd looking round fruit- looking tiny balls on many branches. No interest to the birds however, this tree just sits by itself minding it's own business. It's just the engineer in me that is curious about it's name and heritage, lol
Will attach a couple more pics below.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know what kind of a tree this is ?

Knarley tree trunk !

o

Couldn't get a photo loaded but there are many clumps of pea sized, black & a few white, round,...er, fruits ? The birds however do not go near these,..er, fruits ! lol

This tree is obviously not tended to whatsoever,..no fertilizer or regular watering,..just Mother Natures benevolence !

o

It is a Chinese Tallow Tree, Triadica sebifera (formerly Sapium sebiferum). It is a pretty tree but very invasive in north FL and parts of central FL.

o

Interesting, I didn't know about chinese tallow. looks a bit like yellow haw, doesn't it?

o

I'll second the Chinese Tallow ID - charming looking nuisances...

o

Thanks guys,
Hmmm, a Chinese Tallow tree,...had no idea. I looked up a few horticultural sites and some suggested that if this tree is found in someones backyard in the US, it should be agressively remove,..root and all.
I will relay all this to my neighbor, and volunteer to help if he decids to go that route. Knowing Tom tho, - he grows nothing, wouldn't know a papaya from a mango - I'll bet he'll just leave it there.
That being the likely scenario,...in your opinions, could there be any unforseen danger down he road ? His backyard is a 1/4 ac like mine, has a chain link fence all around it,...know some of the tree is poisonous, but could there be any danger to humans or birds or critters if he leaves it there ?
Thanks again for your info,..learned something today !

o

Further info on this tree seems scarce, so plunged in myself. Found this on Yahoo Answers :

Best AnswerVoter's Choice
Chicken Fingeranswered4 year ago
If enough is ingested it can be very dangerous. It is true that cattle can get sick from eating the leaves. The Chinese Tallow tree (Triadica sebifera), also known as a Popcorn tree, contains resins that are similar to Tung trees. The waxy coating on the green (immature) seeds is the only known non-toxic part of the plant. Nectar from the plant, contrary to the rest of the tree, produces a supposedly excellent honey.

With a degree in Chemistry and a cattle rancher, I have done extensive research on this tree. It is listed as one of the top 10 most noxious species of plants in the world.
In my sources below are some very informative websites for further information.
Source:
1.) Me - Chemistry degree, cattle rancher
2.) http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/node/399
3.) http://www.invasive.org/species/subject....
4.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_tal...

Thats enough for me. Will try to persuade my neighbor to cut his tree down ( only 9 ft from my property line ) and then dig up the roots. Will do the work myself if he gives me the OK, - have all the tools. Also, I need something to keep me busy till the mango's go berserk ! ( smile )

o

In a similar situation, I did all the work and re-planted the neighbors choice. At some point, what ever it takes...in the long run no big deal to buy another plant.

o

Don't knock yourself out- digging the roots is unneccesary. Cut the tree to ground level and paint undiluted Roundup on the stump ASAP. Roots die quickly. I've got these and Brazilian Peppers too to deal with. That's what works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here