Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool to pond....the decision

Posted by crueltyfre Tampa 9a heat 10 s (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 12:41

the new swimming pool pump will be installed Friday.

The pond guys were talking thousands of dollars for pumps, another thousand for bridge, hundreds for paint and plants and such, and it was just getting too out of hand, especially at Christmas/tax season.

Thanks for all the input and advice everyone. I'm going to have to stick to my little beta pond for the time being.
Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool to pond....the decision

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 15:16

You have such aa gorgeous pool and back-yard, so peaceful and private, if you really have your heart set on a larger pond you could always expand your beta pond, maybe put a new one next to the old one and connect them and put a small bridge, sort of like Monet's, with a small filter if you needed it, would not be expensive like converting the big pool.....or maybe build some rocks at the end toward the fence and put a small pump there for a water-fall, coming down over the rocks.... so many options and ideas, that changing the big pool is not needed.... sally

o

Well, it's a shame that they have dissuaded you so easily. It should not be so expensive to turn your pool into a pond, especially where your goal is not for it to be extensively for fish husbandry. :-(

I'm sorry.

On the sunny side - a new swimming pump shouldn't bee too expensive and before you need to remarcite (you mentioned it will need it sooner rather than later) you can revisit this idea.

I'm sure that one day you'll get your larger pond. :-)

Barbie

o

This is a great idea. I saw some conversions before on the web and TV but no ideas about costs. You could maybe simply start with those little fished that clean the water and go from there.

It seems to be anywhere from $3k to $50+k.

Some cool links that you may have already seen:

All labor and little money:

http://sites.google.com/site/pool2pond/home

A little money and lots of labor:
http://pool-to-pond.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-materials-will-i-need-how-much.html

Some cool pics:
http://assuredhandyman.blogspot.com/2011/03/from-pool-to-pond.html

Best in your deciding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool to POnd conversion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here