Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What direction does the freezing wind come from in FL?

Posted by David149 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 13:38

I am new to Florida and am aware that in most areas of the country, the freezing wind comes from a specific direction. Does anyone know what direction that tends to be in Florida?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What direction does the freezing wind come from in FL?

I would guess North?

o

Actually, cold air usually moves in from the northwest. But the coldest nights occur on a perfectly clear night after a cold front has moved in. With no clouds and no wind, the cold air settles right down to the ground.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

Hi
Suppose it varies in different parts of florida but in the zone 10 parts it's always from the NW The severity and duration is dictated by the jet stream . The further south it moves, the colder lol ususally lasts 3 days with the lowest temps on the second day. The fronts always originate from the Pacific NW. the lowest temps are when it's calm ,naturally because florida is surrouned by th warm gulf stream so the closer to the ocean the warmer it stays .
Something I've always wondered about is the temp drop just before dawn always the lowest temp of the day Sunmmer and winter Anybody know why?? gary

o

I concur with Garyfla. REAL cold fronts usually swoop in from the NW, coming down from Canada and rolling south/east.

Garyfla, I believe the temp drop just before pre-dawn is simply due to it being the furthest point in time from sundown. By dawn all the stored heat in soil, stone, pavement, etc. has dissipated from the night's cooler temperatures and there's just nothing left to radiate.

o

Here it is straight from the North!!

o

Here in the center of the state it comes from both the North and Northwest.

o

I'm relatively new too but here in Vero it seems to (me) to be N-NW. When the cold air moves straight down the state, over land instead of water.

If you're in... say Naples, it may be more directly out of the North.

I haven't been here long enough to know for sure though.

o

When we had that really bad freeze a couple of years ago, it was all the coconut palms and other trees on the north and west side of the homes in our neighborhood that died.
You could literally drive down the street and everything was dead on one side and struggling on the other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here