Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perceptioveritas

Please ID these nodules on Cathedral Live Oak Treet

perceptioveritas
12 years ago

I have just planted 3 Cathedral Live Oak trees and I wondered if anyone can tell me what these nodules are on the branches AND what is the purpose of these nodules? These nodules are part of the branches and do not come off or fall off.

Will it hurt the tree to have those tiny air plants growing on it? I have removed what ever I could reach, but I was told to spray the tree with a mixture of baking soda mixed in water to kill the air plants and/or Spanish Moss?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your help. Thank you kindly :)

Comments (3)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

They are called galls. They won't hurt the tree. If you break or cut one open you should see a small bug in there. The air plants and the Spanish moss won't hurt the tree. They live on air. I think they look neat. Why don't you just leave them?

• perceptioveritas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

zackey thanks for the info. The reason I remove the air plants and the spanish moss is because I was told it will kill the trees. Now I feel better that you said it won't hurt the tree.

Now those little nodules, you say have a bug in them. there are LOTS on the trees. Aren't bugs bad for trees? I will trust your judgement and leave them if you say they won't hurt the tree.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :) Happy New Year!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Here's what I know: trees are basically ecosystems in their own right - supporting multitudes of life forms, including insects. Oak galls are found in all kinds of oaks - they are formed by a type of wasp larvae and are basically a sort of scarring that is mostly harmless to the trees. You might find galls on the leaves as well - also harmless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect galls @ EDIS/IFAS

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus