Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please ID these nodules on Cathedral Live Oak Treet

Posted by perceptioveritas 9 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 31, 11 at 13:41

I have just planted 3 Cathedral Live Oak trees and I wondered if anyone can tell me what these nodules are on the branches AND what is the purpose of these nodules? These nodules are part of the branches and do not come off or fall off.

Will it hurt the tree to have those tiny air plants growing on it? I have removed what ever I could reach, but I was told to spray the tree with a mixture of baking soda mixed in water to kill the air plants and/or Spanish Moss?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your help. Thank you kindly :)

Cathedral Live Oak Tree NODULES

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please ID these nodules on Cathedral Live Oak Treet

They are called galls. They won't hurt the tree. If you break or cut one open you should see a small bug in there. The air plants and the Spanish moss won't hurt the tree. They live on air. I think they look neat. Why don't you just leave them?

o

zackey thanks for the info. The reason I remove the air plants and the spanish moss is because I was told it will kill the trees. Now I feel better that you said it won't hurt the tree.

Now those little nodules, you say have a bug in them. there are LOTS on the trees. Aren't bugs bad for trees? I will trust your judgement and leave them if you say they won't hurt the tree.

Thanks for taking the time to respond :) Happy New Year!

o

Here's what I know: trees are basically ecosystems in their own right - supporting multitudes of life forms, including insects. Oak galls are found in all kinds of oaks - they are formed by a type of wasp larvae and are basically a sort of scarring that is mostly harmless to the trees. You might find galls on the leaves as well - also harmless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect galls @ EDIS/IFAS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here