Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants

Posted by happy_fl_gardener 9a, near DeLand (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 13:57

This year I branched out and grew two varieties of papaya that I haven't tried before. They are TR Hovey and Tainung papaya. By far, the most successful variety for me this year was the TR Hovey - a real winner!

I bought the very, very small papaya plants from Florida Hill Nursery last spring. The TR Hovey plants had their tops cut off. The plants were only about 4 inches tall. They sent out branches and I let only one grow. I purchased 5 in all. I kept 3 and I gave 2 away to a friend.

This picture is one of the two plants that I gave my friend. She chose to grow hers in a pot. This photo was taken 9-30-13. After this picture was taken, the plants had to be propped up because they were falling over from the weight of the fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TR Hovey dwarf papaya plants

This is a picture of my 3 TR Hovey plants growing in the east and north sides of my vegetable garden. This picture was taken 9-30-13 when the fruits were still quite small compared to what they are now.

o

This was the first of my plants that needed to be propped up.

o

I am very happy with my TR Hovey, too.

I don't have the production you have, but it is my most productive papaya yet. Also , mine did not fruit as low on the stem as your pics show.

I will continue with this variety in the future.

o

Tainung papaya, photo taken 9-30-13.

This variety was a disappointment because the fruit never got much larger that what you see in the picture. The two fruits that ripened were rotten inside so I haven't gotten to taste the fruit yet. The color inside the fruit is an especially dark orange. Hopefully I'll get to taste a fruit before a freeze gets them.

The two papaya plants behind this one are Red Ladys.

o

TR Hovey fruit - This is what the inside of a TR Hovey fruit looks like. It has a tasty mild flavor. This fruit weighed in at almost 7 lbs!

o

Disaster strikes!!!

I procrastinated when I saw that this plant started leaning. Unlike the other two, it grew straight for so long. I asked my husband to put some supports on it but by the time he was able to get to the garden the plant had snapped from the weight of the fruit. Notice how large the fruits have grown. This photo was taken yesterday.

o

Not only did the fallen TR Hovey plant destroy itself, but it fell on top my "unknown" dwarf" plant. It's one that I saved from last year. It has 2 horizontal branches that have been producing well. (Photo was taken 9-30-13).

Well, this is my success and failure story. Actually, I am grateful that we didn't get an early freeze or all of this would be gone.

Anyone else growing TR Hovey?

Christine

o

Someone on this list a few years back said to put a cap of foil over an open papaya stem to keep water out. It would heal and sprout new fruiting branches in the spring.

I have a Something Sun that froze at the very top. I followed those instructions and it did heal and re-sprout.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 19:33

Hi Christine

Congrats on your papayas! you are having a bountiful harvest and we are lucky that the weather is being so nice.

Silvia

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 14:08

Thanks for posting pics of the Hovey, can you tell us if it is sweet? Years ago I had some open-pollinated papaya, the ladies in a circle w/the gentleman in the middle, and that fruit was SWEET-SWEET.... everything froze then and they were gone... does anybody know where to obtain seed for that cultivar? I haven't found any that were nearly as sweet and I sure miss them... thanks, sally

o

Beautiful plants Christine, wind took out a bunch of my stuff this fall. Loving this weather!

o

thornrose - I looked down the trunk and it is hollow all the way to the bottom. What I need to do soon is cut the trunk down to where there is a horizontal plate. That way water won't get inside and rot the roots. If I don't find a plate high enough I will take your suggestion and cover up the opening with foil. I also have some papaya plants that froze down to the ground and resprouted. I haven't heard of Something Sun. I'll have to check that out.

Silvia - It's so nice that we haven't had a freeze yet because Mother Nature gave me some extra time to get the greenhouse ready for winter. I spruced up the pea stone and paver floor while Bobby power washed the outside and got the leaves out of the gutters. I'm ready to load it up now!

Sally - It's too bad that you didn't know the variety name of your papaya plants. Finding varieties of papaya that are that sweet aren't easy to find. The fruits of the Hovey are mildly sweet. Pleasant but not overly sweet. I suspect if my papaya fruits ripened in zone 10, I bet they would be much sweeter since they would be ripening at the fruit's preferred warmer temperatures. I hope that you get lucky again and find that great tasting papaya variety.

Christine

o

Christine,

It is Solo Sun. I just couldn't bring it to mind the other day.

o

I have a papaya that I planted from the seed from the gro. store. They are about 12 ft high and one has only one papaya on it but it is so big the others have from 3 to 7 on them and about the size that I have seen in the stores. But they are not getting ripe. How long does it take before they do ripen? Hope I have them protected enough for them not to get killed. I am of the Suwannee River in Lafayette County Fl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here