Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeka0801

frustrated: how to get raccoons to stop pooping

teeka0801(7aNoVa)
16 years ago

in my back yard???!!!

We have a fenced in back yard(wasn't like this a few months ago..fenced it in after we paid $300 to have someone get rid of raccoons that were pooping back there...we have no food source at all for them back there).

So we are back to square one it seems. Two days ago I woke up , happy to go out to my CLEAN back yard just to find a pile of raccoon excrement right next one of my stepping stones...I really felt my hairs on the back of my neck rise...so upset i have to deal with this again.

They are wanting to get in there for some reason and I just cannot figure out why. Any advice or ideas? Am I fighting a losing battle?

They guy who came to "rescue" these critters told me that people leave cat food out at night for outdoor cats and this is why they come into our yards( I know at least two houses in our block that do this). There is NO catfood in our home/garage/backyard.

Please help! I don't even want to go out there and I really enjoy my mornings when I am able to garden. It is just really getting me down. Will they ever leave???!!!

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Teeka,
    garbage can? How about a water source? Could it be that they are coming for a drink? How about motion detector lights and sprinkler.
    Felix

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

I don't know much about raccoons but I'd go to a pet store and find out if they have a product that makes a spot unattractive to animals and I would spread that around. Something that area that they used must seem like a good place to go. Probably something they smell-previous animal waste?

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Maybe try going to a hunting supplier and get coyote urine or other preditor urine and hang strips of cloth soaked in it.
    We resorted to buying a trap and catching the critters. In our city, they come and relocate them if we have them trapped. Call and find out if you have this sevice too. They tore my entire garden apart, digging up plants and eating the roots and looking for grubs.

• austin1227
    16 years ago

Peeing on the bottom of your fence would do the trick. Most animals do not like Ammonia (sp?) either.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Just saw this on the discovery channel, It would have to be male pee. soooo maybe host a beer party or hand out diuretics ??

Perhaps if you put a sign out in your yard "no pooping" or something similar may help. ;->

{{gwi:986006}}

• islandpete
    16 years ago

If he is stopping by for a poo maybe he or she is trying to tell you something. Be kind and leave your coons a little snak like soapy water and nice plump roots covered in exlaxs. He might get the idea to poo some where else. Unless your husband can balance on the top of the fence to pee

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gotta figure out a way to get DH to do this for me,lol!

Raccoon guy left me with some coyote urine and I put it out last night(you reminded me he had left me this and I had it in the garage and opened it and it stinks big time) and no poop last night,though the beast out there was playing w/ the rag I left where he/she pooped because it was all over the place. The other rags were left alone.

If this doesn't work, I'll buy DH a six-pack!

thanks again.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Works for me.
    I mark my boundaries as needed.
    But my yard is fairly secluded!

• dghays
    16 years ago

I'd hate to be the guy that has to hold the collection cup under the coyotes to collect their urine. That's got to be a tough job. Especially wild coyote urine.

I get gopher tortoise poops in my yard. I consider it a bonus and sign of good will towards men.

Gary

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Feed them some cheddar cheese. LOL

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Gary, you really made me laugh, but you're right, there are some awful jobs out there. lol Collecting snake venom is right up there too.

The gopher poo is good for the plants since it's mostly grasses of some sort.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional