Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Poinsetta's

Posted by romy6 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 14:29

My Poinsetta's are getting in the Holiday spirit!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Poinsetta's

romy, those are gorgeous! I was under the impression that they needed to be in full sun but I think that was wrong. Yours look great! Have they made it through a full winter? Last time I put some in the ground in Jacksonville, frost/freeze got them. I have two in pots (from last year!) and I want to try some in the ground again.

Carol

o

Carol, poinsettia and Christmas cactus need extended darkness hours and cooler weather to promote blooming. I've tucked last year's potted poinsettia into a corner of the yard that gets almost no light at night and the silly thing, tho abused, is still trying to 'get in the holiday spirit'! I really should put it in ground, I guess, even at this late date. Protecting it from a freeze will be a challenge.

o

Carol. The two on the right are about to have there 3rd Christmas. The one on the left is about to have it's second Christmas. I think the 170 year old oak tree that they grow under keeps them happy. Last year I thought the cold had killed them. I literally cut them back to almost nothing and by June they were bushier than ever. I cover them on super cold nights as well. Corar I planted all of mine in January and was lucky enough to get them to root in. I live in the Daytona Beach area.

Thanks
Jamie

o

Those are Lovely, Did They Put on a Show for You the Christmas Just gone?
and
Thank You for Sharing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here