Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Freeze Watch...

puglvr1
11 years ago

Its been SO warm lately...I almost forgot its the first day of winter tomorrow! Freeze watch for Northern Florida quickly reminded me,lol...

I hope I dodge the 32 degree mark here...not looking forward to covering up anything :o(

Hope everything stays safe and freeze free for everyone...keeping fingers crossed

Comments (22)

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Yeah, been checking and rechecking those forecasts. 42 for a low here both friday and saturday, hoping the forecast doesn't get worse...

Good luck puglvr1.

Darren

• User
    11 years ago

here we go again......:(

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I hope I dodge the 32 degree mark here...not looking forward to covering up anything :o(

So, I guess none of you are worried about the end of the 13th Baktun? I hope you're right, if the poles shift you won't have to worry about a freeze ;-)

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Seriously though, fingers crossed for you N.

Tom

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol Tom...Funny!!

Thanks Tom!! Keeping fingers crossed that neither happens ;o)

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    11 years ago

walisadi lives near me and my estimate is that we will be at or very close to 32 degrees tomorrow night (Fri). I spent time loading up my greenhouse today too.

Christine

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Walli, unless I'm seeing something that isn't there... your 'greenhouse' is a lanai with plastic attached?

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi N

I hope that you didn't get any frost. In my area I checked the forecast and they didn't predict frost for last night or tonight either. It is cold and windy not too bad.
    I have 5 banana bunches to worry about,lol.

Silvia

• ocalagirls
    11 years ago

Looks like I live in the frigid north way up here in Ocala. Forecast low 29, wind chill 21. But I have nothing tender to cover (I gave up on all that a few years ago when it snowed) so the only thing I'll be putting up tonight is a chicken that decided to molt last week and has no feathers to keep her warm.

• loufloralcityz9
    11 years ago

ANOTHER FREEZE WATCH!! Just when can we expect the Global Warming that Al Gore keeps talking about to finally kick in? My 13th Baktun still has ice on it and I cannot shift the poles, but I did notice the Chupacabra has been going vegan lately.

MOO

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

35 degrees here in West Tampa. There is a light frost on house roofs but not in the garden. According to wunderground, most of the reporting stations around here are reporting two to ten degrees higher.

11 years ago

Just took the dogs out in sleep pants and a t-shirt but it didn't feel that cold (7:30ish am). So had to hop on and check the local temp. Still about 34F according to two nearby stations. I think I spent way too much time up in Michigan. It looks like the field behind me has a fair bit of frost on it, but my yard only has a light dew at the moment. Still from the looks of some of my elephant ears, the few that survived the Thanksgiving frost, I'm glad I protected my other plants.

Edit: Just walked around my house. I don't think my firebush took the temperature dip so well.

{{gwi:986188}}

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 9:20

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

Here on the barrier island south of Daytona the temp was 42F last night. Brought the orchids in and garaged some hanging plants. Nice to have some weather colder than what we had last year.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

35 here this morning and no frost....the lake i'm sure helped.

• sis3
    11 years ago

Forecast here 28F tonight! This crazy woman has just been wrapping the crowns on my folly - a beautiful 22 ft five-trunked Foxtail Palm that is the centerpiece of our tropical courtyard! It was almost fatally damaged during the more recent cold winters but clung to life and then rebounded. I hope I can keep it alive for a few more years even if I have to do a high wire act to wrap it up!

• User
    11 years ago

been 32 hre most of the night, just dropped to 30 an hour ago. still have two more hours or so of freezing. left alot of stuff uncovered this year, was getting way too overgrown after no-freeze last year. plenty of cuttings protected for spring!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was 31 degrees this morning around 6:30...looks like the lowest temps hovered between 31 and 32 degrees for appx. 2 hours or so. Frost all over the lawn and roof today.

Will see how everything fares in a few hours.

My mango trees are all blooming so I'm guessing those will be fried :o(

Thanks Silvia!!

• whgille
    11 years ago

Nancy

They didn't forecast the freeze in my area last night, this morning I see patches of frost in the lawn.
    I hope that your mango trees get spared from the freeze, it is going to warm up again.

Silvia

• thomas12
    11 years ago

Frost on the ground and roofs everywhere in Orlando. Forecast called for a low of 37, but I am sure it was a bit lower than that. I did not protect anything since there was no frost or freeze warning, I should have :(

11 years ago

Well, it looks like it hovered around 32F all night here. Going to wait until the temps are in the upper 40's and see what I might have lost last night.

Lesson learned for me this year:
    Develop a heat-provision plan and not just a heat-retention plan.

• sun_worshiper
    11 years ago

Hope your mango blossoms survived puglvr! I have 2 in full bloom I covered. Frost on my lawn, but didn't actually get below freezing 32.9. Mango blooms in tact - I want fruit this year!

• whgille
    11 years ago

My 5 banana bunches are good today but just in case I cut 2 bunches that are almost ripe and took them inside to ripen...I left 3 bunches outside, if they don't make, oh well I cannot eat 5 bunches at the same time anyway.

Out of 4 banana stalks 4 have bananas

Silvia