Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foreverlad

Potting Soil for Outdoors

foreverlad
11 years ago

Hey all, I was curious what you use for soil for your outdoor plants.

My backyard is primarily composed of the water-repellent sand that needs a REAL soaking just to get moisture in there and when I plant anything in the yard itself, I usually need to amend it with bags of cheap compost/manure from HD. Compounding the issue, the back of my home is on a major road (Tampa Road/Hillsborough Ave for anyone in the TB area) so the yard is always somewhat breezy (though rarely gusty).

I know all about Al's Gritty and 5:1:1 mixes, and I've used the Gritty mix successfully for a number of my succulents, but the truth is, I'd like to focus on a medium that's a bit more 'set-it-and-forget-it'. I don't expect potted plants (usually plastic containers) to withstand weeks or months of no rain, but I'd like to have something that easily withstands a week of our average temps.

Plants vary: Coleus, impatiens and pentas cuttings, hibiscus, begonia, colocasias, cannas, and more. Annuals, Perrenials... just about anything.

Posting here in the FG thread seemed to make more sense; we deal with a unique environment and water-retention feels essential if you don't want to water every 2 or 3 days.

Main goals:

1. At least semi-organic. Something that may attract worms and beneficial insects (I've found some amazing things in my compost/manure pots of young elephant ears).
  2. Water retentive. All my pots are meant to be interspersed between plantings in dappled/partial shade.
  3. Not overly expensive. I'll pay 14 bucks for 2 cu ft of bagged soil, but there's got to be a cheaper alternative.
  4. Bulk soil isn't out of the question, but I can't really truck out cubic yards, nor can I store more than say, 100 gallons at a time.

Anyone willing to divulge the secrets to their potting medium?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the novel!

Comments (5)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

hi
    This is an interesting ?? Always experimenting with different conmbinations and like you was not particularly impressed with the "gritty mix " Think it would be okay indoors but dries out too rapidly outdoors. Currently I'm using 3 combinations all based on the "Palm citrus " mix.
    to this I add around a third pine bark fines , for ferns about a third Coir I recently used this on a 3x3 foot pot that contains a bottle palm,.added about a third leca .
    For palm seedlings I use straight coir as well as for terrestrial orchids but add leca or perlite . Generally pleased with the mixes but could always use some improvements?? lol Hopefully you'll get some more answers. gary

• foreverlad
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gary. Amending Fl soil is annoying, but not too expensive. A cheap bag of compost/manure runs about a $1.60 and when mixed with the native soil, usually does a good job of retaining water.

Potting soil has been tougher to crack. It's expensive and oftentimes has the consistency of sawdust with a bit of perlite mixed in.

I've considered using a cheap potting mix and mixing some pine bark fines and floor dri in. I think the large bags of Floor Dri are around 7 bucks, and the pine bark fines are a little over $2.

Mixed with a potting soil, there should be SOME aeration but more importantly, plenty of water retention. It's something I'll have to mess around with.

The property I live on was mostly neglected for the last 10-15 years. Leaves were always blown away or picked up and the grass continued to deteriorate, due either to too much sun (and no sprinklers) or from the shade provided by oak trees. Basically, the soil was never amended, naturally or otherwise.
    I've done a lot of planting in the soil, but like I mentioned early, I amend it and water a lot. I'm using a lot of pots and trays right now to propagate and house things until the beds are in better shape.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

I am no expert. Not by a long shot, so what I do might seem a little low-brow. Since I live on a big sand hill, every time I excavate a hole for a plant, I sift the natural sandy soil and store it. I mix this with a bag of cheap topsoil and half a bag of Black Kow. This gives me a gritty organic (as in full of organic material) soil that so far has worked for my potted plants. I think it might retain a little too much moisture for plants that like drier roots, but I don't really have any plants that meet that description.

The downside is that eventually I will run out of excuses to dig holes in my yard and will have to figure out the same problem you are running into.

• saldut
    11 years ago

I don't have sand any longer, I now have big beds w/mostly roses and keep the soil rich and friable w/horse manure....just find some stables, and take a bunch of garbage cans and shovels...it's FREE...and free is good!! sally

• ladywingr
    11 years ago

My latest home trial is a product called EarthNourish Planting Mix that I purchased from Big Earth Landscape Supply this summer. So far, it's working well for petunias, persian shield, coleus (huge!), gardenia, and crotons. Have also used in my my earthboxes for tomatoes this fall. I'm thinking it was $5-6 a 2 cu bag. Good drainage and seems to have good retention as well.