Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_b_roses

Rose Nurseries in West Central Florida

julie_b_roses
14 years ago

I'm looking for a place to buy antique/old roses in West Central Florida. I seem to recall there was one near Inverness/Floral City? They don't need to be on Fortuniana, own root is fine.

I know about Seminole Springs but it's quite a drive. And I would prefer to stay away from Tampa (I hate driving there!) but if there's a great place there....well it is ROSES we're talking about... If possible I would like to find a place in the Pasco, Hernando, Polk Counties or Plant City area.

The local county extension agent gave me couple of phone numbers but they don't work. Does anyone know about Antique Rose Gardens that was located north of Dade City or Personal Touch Roses that is south of Zephyrhills, perhaps in Plant City?

Any suggestions please.

Julie

Even after all this time I still miss Giles!

Comments (11)

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Personal Touch sold out several years ago. The new owner only does rose care and maintenance, if still in business.

• julie_b_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, that's one I can mark off the list.
    I know I can mail order, but I really like to touch them and see them before I buy a rose. And I don't see any free weekends in the near future where I can take a trip to Gainesville or Deland.
    At the same time, I'd really like more roses for this area before DH changes his mind. Part of my Christmas present was the entire left side of the house to landscape as I wish. He bought me three roses to get started, Mr. Lincoln and Gold Medal wouldn't have been on my list. But he like big flowers and fragrance so they rated highly on his list. At least I did get a Belinda's Dream. The closest thing to an HT that I have found that is mostly disease resistant and fragrant without spraying.
    I'll keep checking for suggestions and going back to some websites to drool.
    Julie

• laura1
    14 years ago

Try this: The Weed Patch - Ph 352-591-2145
    tuckermills@netscape.com

They have a great garden and lots of plants.

I think they are somewhere near Gainsville...you're just going to have to call them or email 'em.

• claferg zone 9a Fl
    14 years ago

This one has been highly recommended to me.
    www.rosepetalsnursery.com

• imagardener2
    14 years ago

Kerby's Nursery in Seffner carries some roses and occasionally the older types.
    I doubt they will have much right now until it gets warmer and people get in the planting mood but you could call them.

It's really a wonderful nursery and whenever we're driving through I try to stop. Always something interesting to buy I didn't know I needed. They also carry a lot of butterfly plants and had a screened butterfly house.

Buying antique roses is a treasure hunt. I have found mail order to be best but have the rose nurseries in Florida on my navigator just in case we ever get close :-)

• saldut
    14 years ago

Cool Roses in W. Palm carries OGR - Antique etc. all grafted on Fort. and they are good to deal with, best to talk to them on the phone... They do not have a outlet but sell by mail... sally

• laura1
    14 years ago

More information on the Weed Patch:

the "nursery" is at the private home of the owners. They grow the roses (in general) that they sell. You can see them growing, how big they get and talk to the people who grow them. This is a labor of love for them because I think they donate the money they make...I'm not positive on this but I think it's correct.

• julie_b_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seffner isn't too far. I'll have to check out Kerby's. I had heard of it, but never been there. I might convince my daughter to make that trip with me. (I drive 110 miles a day for my job, I don't even want to make a long trip on a day off!)
    But it looks like a road trip might be in order. The Weed Patch sounds wonderful! The kind of place that loves roses and wants to share. That's my kind of place. Mapquest shows they are closer to Ocala than Gainesville, a shorter trip for me.
    I have heard other good reports about Rose Petals. They have a good list of roses on their website. Even by mail order their roses are reasonably priced.
    Angel Gardens is in the same area, somewhere near Gainesville. So an all day or overnight trip could be very worthwhile. Now just to convince DH we should make the drive. :)
    Thanks for the information. I knew you folks would know the best places!

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Have you tried Seminole Springs Rose and Herb Farm in Eustis? 4935 Huff Rd
    Eustis, FL 32736-8855
    (352) 357-2643

It's worth the drive!

Kate

• samtom_gw
    14 years ago

When mentioning the Weed Patch, I think you're referring to John Tucker & Dan Mills. Great products. My wife & I used to be in Gainesville Rose Society with them. Can't say enough good things about them and their place. You won't go wrong!

Tom

• zone9fl
    14 years ago

I have bought roses from Rosepetals nursery and Cool Roses in WPB.

Happy with both, but think I prefer Rosepetals. Their roses are more reasonable as is the shipping costs and they seem to have a better selection.

I would love to drive up there one day but haven't made it yet.

Hardin's Rose Nursery in Tampa has a few ogr, but you may want to call first. They are open on Saturday only, if they are still open. Haven't been there in awhile.

Re Kerby's Nursery, do they have natives? I'm sure I have lost many plants due to the cold weather and plan to replace them with natives.

I've covered them, but when it gets this cold, I doubt it will help much. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my Lakeview Jasmine, and Grand Duke of Tuscany, would hate to loose them.