Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
driftwood/tilsandias

Posted by hester_2009 9a/b Sarasota (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 9, 11 at 15:35

Now this piece of driftwood cannot cannot compare to wallisadis (in the last pic) but seeing it, I thought I'd share what I accomplished with it despite the size.
Actually, my recent house guest did most of it, as she was a floral designer. We had been that morning to Tropiflora and saw their broms, etc on driftwood and I thought..well, I could do that on the wood I found at a yard sale...and for cheap!
So we did it and I quite like it! (so does Ralph the cat)
Photobucket

closer view
Photobucket

Sure doesn't take much to make me happy - a few air plants and an old piece of wood!
Hester

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: driftwood/tilsandias

Tilsandias are fascinating plants.

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 9, 11 at 18:57

Wow, Hester, it's beautiful!!! Very artistic and eye-catching. Where had you been hiding that beauty?

Anna

o

That's a very neat looking piece of plant-artwork, Hester. I've seen pre-planted ones for big $$, so you did well. Now I have to keep my eyes open for some driftwood :)
Marcia

o

That would make me happy too! Nice job!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 6:01

Oh yes, that is lovely. I love tilsandias too.

o

Hi
have tried that on several occasions . Biggest long term problems was protecting from frost and of course rot.
not to mention expensive . My last effort was using PVC pipe covered with cork and expanding foam. Was relatively cheap but does require some artistic ability.lol
Most ambitious was a 7x10 foot "seep wall" which destroyed itself . The roots of the various plants went right through the foam diverting the water away from the collection well . There's some examples on the American Orchid society website. They use mostly orchids but any epiphyte thrives on it. Does require a location where you can provide cold and wind protection. My "limb' types were hung from the ceiling of the shadehouse.
They do look fantastic for sure!!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here