Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apapjim

Okinawan spinach

apapjim
9 years ago

The Okinawan spinach I got at Silvia's garden party is loving life. How do you eat it? Little leaves, big leaves, raw, cooked, recipes?

Comments (10)

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Papa Jim

Congratulations on the success of your Okinawa spinach. I don't grow it or eat it, but I grew it before. Here is some info and hope it helps.

Uses: The leaves and tender shoots can be eaten raw or cooked, although older, tougher leaves should be cooked. Okinawa spinach can be mucilaginous when cooked, although not when used raw. For best texture, steam rather than boil leaves and stems. Otherwise mix with other vegetables when cooking if you want to minimize this mucilaginous quality. Remember that this texture is prized in tropical Asia, particularly for thickening sauces. The purple pigment in the leaves and shoots imparts a red dye to other foods it is cooked with. The raw leaves are beautiful in salads or as a garnish.

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

If left alone, it gets pretty yellow/orange flowers, so it could even be a ground cover. I grew it a few years but didn't care for it to eat.

• apapjim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a feeling "mucilaginous" means slimy. I won't even eat boiled okra so I think I'll stick to using some of the smaller tender leaves for color in a salad. Silvia, I haven't been able to get my romaine to germinate. I have about 6" of Al's mix in a tub and I planted the seeds according to instructions. I may have overwatered them. They are in the enclosure with my blueberries which are misted daily for about 20 min. I have replanted in small pots in open sun and will be more careful about the water. Any other ideas?

Papa Jim

• whgille
    9 years ago

Papa Jim, you are right on the slimy part.:)

This time of year it is so easy to grow greens and lettuce. I have them in the raised bed and only water when they need, if we did not get rain about 2 times a week. That is if they are fully developed like mine are now, when just starting them I keep them moist. Sometimes the mix can be too coarse for the seedlings so I use them as a base and on top I sprinkle any finer medium mix in with the seeds, as they grow I cut them so I always have a fresh supply. This season I planted just 2 kinds of lettuce one romaine and one leaf, on the side I planted oriental greens and they are the best in a salad better than romaine and so mild! I had visitors last week and they love the greens in a salad, I only told them when they were leaving and asked me about the variety of lettuce, gave them the seeds too.

2 kinds of mild greens

{{gwi:2126094}}

romaine

{{gwi:2126095}}

leaf lettuce

{{gwi:2126096}}

Silvia

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    9 years ago

The okinawa spinach is great in salads and even larger leaves are not string or tough. For the lettuce I plant in Al's mix, but tap the seed into the soil to make sure it has good contact or use 1/2 a tsp of seed starter around the seeds.

• keiki
    9 years ago

You going to love this plant in the summer when we cant grow annual lettuce. I eat Okinawa spinach raw mixed with other greens such as gynra, edible hibiscus, cranberry hibiscus, and katuk. It is also good for sandwiches and taco's.

• apapjim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need something. My replants are not showing any signs of germinating either! I'm using Al's mix also and I'm pushing the seeds barely into the mix--just enough so they are covered. I didn't even know there was such a thing as seed starter. Any particular brand?

Papa Jim

• garden_gal_fl (z10)
    9 years ago

I tend to mix my own seed starter (equal parts peat, perlite, and vermiculite.) Home depot and Lowes carry labeled seed starter, but you have to check the bags to be sure there is no white fungus or the seeds do not sprout.

• castorp
    9 years ago

I eat Okinawa spinach cooked throughout the summer. It is important to cook it VERY lightly. Basically until it is just barely wilted. Otherwise it will be slimy. It is specially good with just about anything containing cheese: calzone, pizza, enchiladas,
    Bill

• User
    9 years ago

Going nuts here.....:). Love it......nice looking plant, don't eat it............