Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Cactus good foundation plants ?

Some well intentioned friend just gave me a passle of flat green cactus plants, suggesting I plant them outside my home. To do that, I would have to dig up the Indian Hawthorne that have been there forever,...not much color, but no maintainence either.
What do you think ? No room anywhere, - am close to dumping these cactus in the dumpster,..but still curious,..do they make good foundation plants around a home ? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I guess that depends on what you like. If you hate the Indian Hawthorne then maybe the cacti are for you. If you hate the possibility of getting jabbed by a cactus, You can save yourself some work.

It sounds like your friend gave you some Opuntia, aka prickly pear. There are many different kinds, some a couple of feet tall and some 15 feet tall. That may be a determining factor for you. Some have spines, but all have tiny hair-like "stickers" (glochids) that can get you. Also, on some varieties the glochids are very light and can become airborne in the wind.

Now that I've made this sound like a horrible choice, they are very easy to grow and low maintenance. They have pretty flowers and edible fruit, which is also colorful. I have seen them free standing as well as near the house. They do like full sun - better for flowering. They are drought hardy, as you can imagine.

Search this forum (and the Internet) for Opuntia to see if that is what you have. You can post a picture on the cactus and succulent forum and request an ID and advice. Knowing what you have will help you decide. Have you seen your friend's cactus patch? That will give you a idea of how big it will get . . . since he bought you clippings that he pruned.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks crenda, - very interesting, you have given me enough info to make a decision. Friend is a "she " and no, I didn't see her patch. However, the only place I could plant them only gets 6 hours of sun max ea day. No problem for the Indian Hawthorne and besides, have no problem with the IH, so will just leave well enough alone.
    Thanks again !

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I have well-intentioned friends, too. While I appreciate the thought, sometimes they don't understand that I like to pick my own landscaping.

One friend called to tell me she was bringing me a big aloe which I would appreciate. It turned out to be a HUGE agave, already over 5 feet in width, that I did not have room for.

Happy gardening! Keep that plants that you enjoy!

Original Author
    10 years ago

You are right. Recall an incident about 2 months ago when I gave another pal the nickle tour. Unbeknownst to him, 4 years prior I decided to buy & plant two of the " low cool hour " peach trees developed by The University of Florida. I chose Tropic Beauties, planted them despite the early warnings from critters I hadn't seen before.

Learned quick that I needed to cover both with a net to keep out the kamikaze bird attacks. Some birds ( not tiny ) were able to penetrate the tiny gaps underneath, - found a few flapping their wings on a branch next to a half eaten peach, in its death throes. Other birds simply perched on the outer tip of a branch that was pushing up against the netting, then poked in with it's beak, ruining any fruit it jabbed. Won't go into the squirrels, etc.,.. turns out everything loves peaches.

Fought this battle for 3 years, then this 60ish retiree decided to lighten his load and put an ad on Craigslist for free peach trees, " just bring your shovel. " Took 2 days and both were gone ! My mango/avocado/papaya trees are a breeze in comparison.

When my newest pal suggested I add a few peach trees, I just smiled. Again, well meaning but had no clue ! lol My 1/4 acre "plantation " is just the way I want it,..no mas !

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just thought i'd post a photo of the " cactus " plants I was recently given. Still not sure what exactly they are,..maybe crenda or someone else can specifically identify them and tell me how high & wide they'd eventually grow to ? Thanks !

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

I'd say it is definitely an Optunia, and possibly a spineless variety (Opuntia ficus-indica var.inermis). Beyond that, I am not very good at identifying the specific plant. Those look like healthy pads that would root well.

Why don't you post this picture on the cactus and succulent forum? Mention how long that biggest pad is and ask any questions you have. They've had a discussion going on Giant Opuntia cuttings. I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus and Succulent Forum

• kinzyjr {Lakeland, FL - USDA: 9b, Record: 20F}
    10 years ago

I have that particular variety of cactus at my place. I can tell you this much, it grows like a weed! In 3 years, it has gone from 4 feet high to well over 8 feet high. I inherited mine, and have chosen to keep it as a centerpiece for the landscaping in front of my house. I have seen these locally get over 20 feet high and 15 feet wide. Mine has small spines.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Wow! I had no idea they grew that fast. A house down the road from me has a really nice one as a focal point, like you said. He (seems to) keep it around 6-8 feet tall and compact. Maybe it grows that way? I keep watching for clippings! LOL

I would love to have one, but hubby keeps saying No No No. He doesn't want anything that can stick him. (I sneaked a few crown of throrns in on him, tho!) And this is a guy from New Mexico!