Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arrgh! Aphid attack on my veggies

Posted by BocaBrian 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 16:59

I have aphids attacking my cauliflower, pepper and marigold plants. I have sprayed them with Need Oil, but they are still around. Should I remove the said plants and replace with a new batch? So far I have not noticed them on my tomatoes, beans or cucumbers. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arrgh! Aphid attack on my veggies

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 5, 11 at 18:59

Try spraying with a hard blast from the hose. :o)

o

Not as quick a fix as you might need but try planting nasturtiums around your garden area - used by organic gardeners as aphid "magnets".

o

You can spray them down with water dailey and they will eventually die. Try to find the ants and get rid of them . They are the ones moving them from plant to plant. Neem oil does work but you must use it often. I have found they do not kill the plant just slow it down. 7 dust liquid form also works and ortho bug be gone works as well but they are not so great for the good bugs. Just wait the ladybugs will come and help hopefully.

o

i was just reading about "Garlic Barrier" available on line. Works well on many insects including aphids and mosquitos. I'm going to try it on chilli trips.
Good luck with the bug wars.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 13, 11 at 16:40

I keep several spray-bottles of alcohol w/Dawn around the garden, it doesn't hurt the plant but does deter/kill lots of bugs...sally

o

Wow, thanks everyone for the great tips! I have seen several ants wondering around, didn't know they were the ones that are moving them. Good to know. I bought some Diatomaceous earth today, will dust around and hopefully that will help. I had marigolds planted around also hoping to ward off aphids, other pests, but the aphids have pretty much devoured them as well. It's hard for me to spray them off with a water hose since I'm in a community garden, but will give that a try too. Again, thanks for all of your helpful suggestions!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here