Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Resident Owls

sharbear50
11 years ago

For some reason soon after I moved into this house in Pembroke Pines, two Burrowing Owls decided to make my front yard their new home. Now lets see if I can remember how to upload a video or picture. lol

Comments (14)

• User
    11 years ago

nice picture, i know how hard it is to get them to stop and smile....:) we have the big owls here, not sure of their name. chased an appiliated woodpecker around the tree for an hour trying to get a good pic....owls will keep the unwanted critters away......m

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Aw, that's great!

We have a large owl near our house, sometimes, as well. I think a Great Horned Owl? There's something magical about hearing him "hoot" at night.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

No owls where, but we have a breeding pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks in our neighborhood and we're close enough to the Ocklawaha River that I get to see Bald Eagles wheeling in the sky from time to time. If we had an owl move into the area as well, you all might be able to hear me squealing in joy regardless of where you are.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

That is SO COOL! Looks like they are fairly close to the road, here's hoping for a good outcome.

Tom

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I have owls in my Sycamore trees - soothing to hear in the evening. Your Owls are beautiful!

• RetiredFlorida
    11 years ago

Very cool. I was so busy admiring my new hibiscus blooms this morning I didn't notice a hawk had landed nearby to grab something off my lawn. Always a treat to be able to share your yard with the critters.

Darren

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Once in a great while I hear a who-who-whooo at night here. We saw the burrowing owls in Punta Gorda a few years ago. Always have hawks here.

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

That is so neat to have a pair of owls make your front yard their home! I know that we have a pair of barred owls in my neighborhood, I think they live in the woods behind my house. It is so wild to listen to them at night when they really get vocal. They sound like a pair of demented monkeys when they are calling back and forth to each other! So far I haven't actually seen the owls although my neighbors have.

• cavamarie
    11 years ago

Beautiful...lucky you!

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are close to the road but luckily it isn't a busy road. I look out there every morning and they are standing guard over their hole. I wonder if they have eggs in there. Many times just one is guarding the whole and I am guessing the other may be sitting on eggs. They are so cute! If you get to close they do this funny little hop up and down.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a follow up. Apparently the owls have taken a liking to my Christmas wreath so I have to leave it on my front door. Sometimes there is one on there and sometimes both owls are on it. We go to the store, come home and they are on the wreath again. So cute!

• chloe92us
    11 years ago

That is AWESOME! Where in Florida are you.

• dirtyshoes
    11 years ago

I love it! You're so lucky.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in Pembroke Pines, real close to Hollywood. I wonder if we are going to see babies sometime soon...?