Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugbite_gw

Easiest to root?

bugbite
10 years ago

What is your easiest plant to propagate from cuttings?
My easiest:

Gauras. I have one that I sipped a few little shoots off and put them in soil. Hmm, they all turned into plants easily. I thought, "Gee, that was way too easy". So I sipped off several more a couple of weeks ago and put them in poorer soil and ignored them. They are all growing.
I bought seeds for the new Sparkle Gaura that I planted in August. I have150 plants from 200 seeds. So, hopefully, I can take the very best plants from those and propagate them in the fall.
Bob

This post was edited by bugbite on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 17:16

Comments (13)

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Bob
    How have ya been lately? You've been missed around here!

For me, plumeria was the easiest to root, along with cordylines and dracaenas, of course. I love to see those big white healthy roots.

Hibiscus, Golden Dewdrop and roses are fun, too, but not always reliable.

Right now I am trying to root some salvia farinacea, since my nice one broke off and I've had really good luck with rooting salvia coccinea.

That's great that guara roots so easily - I have a bunch of seedlings, too, that volunteered, but I'd like to try new varieties. I can get a hundred new babies of angelonia when I give mine their haircuts and put the clippings in water. Euphorbia Diamond Frost roots easily, too.

I have a couple easy-to-root roses, if you'd like me to send you some cuttings this spring. These are the unfancy, old garden roses that seem to bloom all year.

Also, I have just harvested seeds from 9 different colored crape myrtles, if you'd like to do some seed trials to see what colors you'd come up with. I'd be glad to send some to ya.

Sorry to get so off-subject, but you started my favorite topic!

~Susie

• morningloree
    10 years ago

I have had great luck with Night Blooming Jasmine, Yellow Cestrum, Pentas, Crotons, and Hawaiin Sunset Vine. I have been the recipient of some of Susieqsie's plants, such gorgeous roses and other starts that I have enjoyed in my yard.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    One that always amazes me is Coleus..Water ,soil, stuck in the sand even thrown into the compost heap lol Is there a way that won't work?? lol Even more amazing is that they never become invasive .
    All but one of my orchid offsets took off this year,usually have less than 50 percent.
    One that still eludes me is Queens wreath (petrea volubilis) Even tried buying the vines while still attached .
    Nada can't have it all I guess?? lol gary

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

One year I lightly pruned a crape myrtle in my front yard. I just let the little branches fall under the tree and covered with bark mulch. To my surprise, by spring they had rooted and were sending out leaves. Now, that was easy.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Susie, Dawn and Gary!
    Susie you are always so kind and generous.
    I've changed my approach to gardening this year. Usually I would get up to 35 new varieties to try. But now my garden has matured. I just counted 23 varieties of plants in my small gardens that reseed nicely. So I am moving from trying new things to managing volunteers. Maybe one new thing a year, like the Sparkle guara.
    My volunteer winner this year is 117 petunias that came up. Finding homes for those petunias around the yard was time consuming. :-) (plus homes for 150 new guaras.)
    I just pulled out a lot of crape volunteers, kept a few of the best volunteers. Regarding roses, after being big in roses I finally settled down to 3 varities. My favorite being Belinda's Dream, because it is maintenance free and produces large, fragrant blooms.
    Susie, Dawn and Gary...thanks for the lists. I will only choose from this list when I add another plant to the garden. Makes sense to get plants a person can easily multiple when they want more.
    Bob

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shuffles. Interesting. Sometimes a person doesn't have to go through fancy procedures to make cuttings take.
    I pruned a rose and left the branches laying out a few days. When I finally started cleaning up my mess, I thought I would cut 6 sticks from the group and push each about 6 inches in the ground. Couple of months later I saw growth and ended up with 4 new plants.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Camellias
    Gardenias
    Brugmansia
    Rex Begonia vine
    Persian shield
    Begonias with canes/stems (not rhizomatous)
    Hydrangea
    Roses
    Confederate roses (Hibiscus mutabilis)
    Figs
    Lantana

I don't own any hormone powder or have patience to tend pots. Almost always just stick stuff in the ground where I think another copy of something would be nice, or easy to dig up to give away later.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Basils are super easy rooted in water. I've had good luck with roses too and golden dewdrops.

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks purpleinopp,
    It's good to get your list. I have gardened for years but felt that rooting from cuttings took special conditions (hormone, misting, etc.). Now I am learning differently.
    Never hurts to cut a piece, stick it in the ground and see what happens.
    Bob

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes! That's the amount of effort and expense I'm willing to make. Otherwise, just go buy one right? Good luck!

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Maggie. Never thought about basils. They reseed aggressively for me. But to pick the very best basil plant and root IT, would be very handy.
    Bob

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

brugmansia
    cestrum nocturnum
    monstera & philodendrum
    cactus

bougainvillea- if I take the newer semi woody stem in the fall and stick them in a pot that will stay semi-dry over the winter in the gh. They really seem to love to root if I stick them in with the citrus trees that I keep potted.

passiflora -and lots of other green stemmed vines root easily in the water/green floral foam method. Also Works well from many shrubs as well for semi-hard or soft wood such as hibiscus.

Most stuff seems to root easily if the right timing and the right method is used. Harder to root things can be rooted via air layering or just plain (ground) layering.

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 13:41

• bugbite
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Sultry!