Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Yacon seeds from flowers?

tomncath
10 years ago

Anyone know if yacon seeds can be harvested from the flowers? I read that yacon should be harvested as the plants decline shortly after they finish flowering, which is the stage they are at now. I know to start new plants from the eyes/slips but I'd like to try it with seeds too if can get them from these flowers.

Tom

Comments (8)

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Tom

I don't know about your question but I think you should give it a try.
    I saw the flowers the other day when I was outside and didn't have the camera to take a picture of the butterflies around the yacon, when I went to get it they were gone.:)

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia,

Mine looked like that too last week, the flowers are all withering now and the stalks leaves are dying off. I have not seen anything working the flowers and have no idea if they require cross-pollination since very little information is out there other than propagation from rhizomes :-( Since you actually saw butterflies working the flowers I'd appreciate it if you'd try to harvest seeds and attempt seed germination too.

Keep an eye on your mailbox ;-)

Tom

• whgille
    10 years ago

Thank you Tom!!! for your generous gift, what a nice surprise right in time for the holidays. I already sorted them out and put them where they go. Willy saw the package and he said "Imelda Marcos has struck again!" lol
    It is a very good day for us here at our house, our new rescue and blind dog Merlin got adopted by a very loving man, he is a writer and when we dropped him yesterday he said that his new companion dog is going to create magic for him and will write again. I took him with all his home cooked meals and veggies, he was happy in his new home, he will be the "only child" there.

Silvia

• tomncath
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Silvia,

I've been away so long I though the email was a private send when I saw it in my mailbox...did you get my response or did it go off to la-la land?

Tom

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

I was going to post a picture of my yucon flowering too but you (Silvia and Tom) beat me to it. I was going to say that the lady that gave me the yucon said that when I see the flowers it is harvest time. The lady that gave me the yucon brought the tubers from Ecquador where she was born. Yucon is widely grown there.

My yucon stems had grown so tall that they were falling over so I cut them down to about 3 feet a couple of months ago. I was wondering if they were still going to bloom after being cut, but they are. Now I just need to get out there to harvest them.

As for starting plants from the saved seeds, that'll be interesting to know. I'm not planning on doing it since I have more yucon than I can eat.

Silvia - Congratulations on finding a new home for your rescue dogs. Well done.

Christine

• whgille
    10 years ago

Tom, I got your email this morning and already answered it.:)

Some of my beefsteaks Red Penna this morning, I am making sauces daily...

Christine, Merlin is sleeping in his new home today, a happy ending!

Silvia

• jctsai8b
    10 years ago

Hi all,

Where did you get the Yacon seeds? I am interested growing Yacon too. Thanks

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Silvia - How precious! (the sleeping dog). He looks so content. Yes, a wonderful happy ending and new beginning for the little guy.

I need to seriously start thinking about my tomato seed order very soon. I may add that Red Penna on my wish list. You are fortunate that your plants haven't had cold damage yet.

Christine