Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcia_m

pomegranate

marcia_m
10 years ago

I picked up a no-name pomegranate in a gallon pot on the reduced rack at Walmart. Any tips on growing it here in Florida? Should I plant it in the ground or keep it in a pot? (I should really stop buying plants--I don't know where I'm going to put this one. Another 'experiment' by a novice Florida gardener.)
Marcia

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Marcia,

99/100 chance it is a 'Wonderful'. They grow fine here.....can have trouble with the fruit splitting. They like mulch and some fert especially in the spring. Think I have 26 varieties growing as part of a University of Florida study.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Yeah, my Wonderful splits like crazy. Supposedly they level out after a few years. So far, after maybe four or five years, it has been not much more than good Cardinal food - they love it! I am waiting my turn. Is there anything I can do to prevent splits?

• User
    10 years ago

Even moisture they say is the key.....do you mulch it heavily?

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

yes, it is heavily mulched. I'll try to be more consistent with the watering

• marcia_m
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the tips, Bamboo Rabbit. Wow! 26 varieties! Is there much difference among them? I probably have bought 2 pomegranate fruits in my lifetime but I think the flowers are attractive (from what I've seen online). If I never get any fruit, I will enjoy the flowers.
    Marcia

• User
    10 years ago

Marcia,

Have tasted a few varieties and there is a lot of variation in flavor. I have yet to try any from mine as they are still young. They did flower last year but I removed the fruit to let them use the energy for growth.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor