Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (21)

• foreverlad
    11 years ago

What a stunning plant. If not for the joy of seeing such a varied collection through your posts, I'd make outrageous demands you reveal your supplier sources.

I do admit, it's more fun seeing the crazy and unusual prospering through your photos than seeing them lined up in plastic pots in a nursery. The shopping experience kind of kills the mystique.

• whgille
    11 years ago

Hi M

That is beautiful! And I see some succulents and cacti, that must be J's garden too.:)

Silvia

• abnorm
    11 years ago

I love it !!!!

Can't wait 'til mine gets old and adventurous.......

thanx dougandpam

• tomncath
    11 years ago

How cool! You have the most amazing plants....

Tom

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank silvia.....was a fun day to trade. watch for the babies coming off the ends of the mother. you only need one....:) doug, just protect from the frost....more than you'll know what to do with....m

• garf_gw
    11 years ago

That is a mother of thousands/mother of millions. It is highly invasive and impossible to get rid of. I have an infestation in my yard.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Yep, it's a very interesting plant, but once it escapes, it's gone. When my mother moved into her house, I found a patch of these growing in her yard. Having seen them growing along the roadside and in fields, I was pretty sure it must have been a native and kept doing Google searches with 'Florida native' in the search field. Then one day I did another search and forgot to add 'native' to the field and finally found the identification. Once we found out it was invasive she set about removing it (it had also started actually sending pups under her lanai wall and were invading her lanai). It took a long time of digging them up and probably the only time I didn't really mind that she was using Round-Up. The stuff was everywhere. She kept one pup and put it in a pot where it stays and she's mindful to clip and collect the flowers as they become spent to prevent another invasion. Still it's a very fun plant to look at.

• abnorm
    11 years ago

NOT the same plant as Mother-of-Millions (Bryophyllum)..... I've grown them before at the coast.....the entire leaf edge gets covered with babies and is invasive

I see this is actually named Donkey Ear (Kalanchoe Gastonis bonnieri) .....only one baby grows on each leaf tip....I already "cut the cord" and adopted one out to a new loving home....

Mark and J....THANK YOU once again....a splendid addition to our garden....

dougandpam

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Yes, you are right it's not the same. I've had the one in the photo for years in my garden and while it does multiply it isn't invasive and all over my garden. I love the flowers it makes too. :o)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kills me about gardeners claiming certain plants are INVASIVE! if you walk your garden and work your garden, nothing is invasive. just my take.....looking forward to the spring swap....and the food.....:)

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Some plants are indeed invasive. They escape people's gardens and then end up growing in the wild, sometimes more easily than in their native region due to lack of predation and sometimes over-taking natural plants. And as we've been learning, when you lose or get close to losing a certain plant - *cough*Coontie*cough* - you end up endangering critters that depend on that plant -*cough*Atala Butterfly*cough*.

Also, some plants that escape gardens could end up being toxic to local wildlife. Lantana camara is one such plant. The leaves and berries are quite attractive to birds and deer unfamiliar with the plant, but they're toxic to them. I'm not sure how toxic exactly, but they reportedly make local wildlife sick to some extent. Similarly, someone mentioned in another post that red-colored Passifloras (Lady Margaret being an exception) might be toxic to Gulf Frit caterpillars. I haven't found anything concrete on this other than a blog. And I don't put much stock in random blogs. But still, it shows that willy-nilly throwing random plants into 'foreign' territory could cause problems for that area. It's like biological warfare on a very subtle scale.

Now, if you will please excuse me, I need to go take care of a tickling cough that's getting annoying.

Edit: And I noticed you mention "walking and working" the garden to prevent an escape. All it takes is one vacation or some birds grabbing seeds and suddenly it's beyond your control.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 20:57

• whgille
    11 years ago

Good morning to all!

M - I am waiting for the spring swap and this time I will be ready.:)

My Buddha's hand this morning...

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

In the vacant lot next door to me the poison ivy runs rampant. The birds eat the seeds and poop them in my yard as they fly over and voila, I have poison ivy seedlings to deal with. The wind could blow the seeds over as well. I've been fighting poison ivy for 17 years now and usually get it myself at least once a year. If it blows in my yard or is pooped there, think where else it could be going. This is just one example of an invasive plant getting away. There are many other plants that do the same, including my personal "favorite" the golden rain tree. :o)

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

very cool...........thx!

• abnorm
    11 years ago

And here's a shot of Marks gift in my garden.....I already harvested one baby for a garden buddy.

It's my GardenPartyGarden.....Red and Savoy Cabbage courtesy Silvia....Miracle fruit from Carmen

doug

• 407Bob
    11 years ago

Here is my mules ear, it just started to bloom a few days ago. It is growing in just a handful of dirt. rsmith28hi@Yahoo.com

• 407Bob
    11 years ago

Other pic

• alexcortez
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful plant. Thanks for sharing.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I had that kalanchoe growing wild in the yard when I lived in Vero Beach area. One of my favs! You had posted somewhere that you would send me some Cuban oregano cuttings. Could you please send me a few of those kalanchoe leaves too. I can send you some small Swamp sunflowers or some seeds. I have mostly flower seeds and some cool Cushaw squash seeds, basil and holy basil too. I could trade with you...

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Spring swap? When and where? What does one bring? *running in frantic circles*

wallisadi, I have just about every color of Kalanchoe I could find at Home Depot, Lowes, Wal Mart, and Rockledge Gardens. My issue with them is that they get so leggy so FAST! And after they bloom, do you cut off the "ugly" or let it fall off? They're all in bloom right now in pots outside in full sun, waiting for me to commit to a permanent location for them. Any tips?

• abnorm
    11 years ago

HiYa Zackey.....yes they're your's.....Please respond to my e-mail (or click on my name/profile) with your postal address

doug