Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy Solstice, everyone

Posted by dirtygardener73 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 18:06

Solstice (Yule to us pagans) marks the end of the long, dark winter and the return of the sun. It is a joyful festival of lights, and a time to look forward to nature renewing herself.

I hope you all had a wonderful day, and remember that seed catalogs come out next month!

Peace and Blessings,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy Solstice, everyone

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but, according to the Discovery Channel, there are only 364 days left until the end of the world, if you believe the Mayans, that is.

What do you plant that you can grow and harvest in that time span?

Look on the bright side: we have paid our taxes for the last time.

o

BillBrandi,

You pay your taxes every time you shop in Florida!!
Check out your sales receipts, it says TAX

Moo

o

Uh, actually the winter solstice marks the beginning of winter, not the end. :>) I do like to see the days get longer. I celebrate the equinoxes.

o

every minute of sunshine i can get a little longer from the the day before is good.....we just turned the corner....i hate winter!

o

Yes, days will get longer now. If you ever visited the Winter Sowing forum here on GW, many northern gardeners do special plantings on the solstice. I've done it, too. Gives us a reason to garden on the short, dreary days of a northern winter. While I'm here in PA for the holidays, I won't plant any seeds but I have some to plant and nurture when I return south in January. Happy Solstice!
Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here