Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT-woodpeckers killing my tree

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 9, 11 at 19:11

I have a straight row of holes poked in my nice oak tree by woodpeckers and it is dying. Do they only peck trees that have a problem to start with anyway?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT-woodpeckers killing my tree

Yes. They're looking to harvest the insects that are under the bark. The insects are there because the tree has a problem.

o

What thonotorose said; I understand woodpeckers aren't interested in boring holes in healthy wood.

o

Could have been a lightning strike. That can be a long, slow death.

o

While most woodpeckers in our area will not damage healthy trees, there is an exception. The yellow-bellied sapsucker does drill holes into healthy trunks and branches - rather than looking for borers under the bark, they're drilling holes to drink the sap and eat insects that are attracted to the wounds. Sapsucker damage can be recognized by the neat, nearly horizontal rows of holes. When you say you have a "straight row" of holes, that sounds like sapsuckers - the others tend to make very irregular, fairly random holes as they dig for woodboring insects.

However, a tree that's otherwise healthy will generally tolerate some sapsucker damage without serious effects. Unless you've got a tree that's been really heavily damaged (which I have seen rarely, with nearly the entire trunk riddled with many rows of holes), the tree's problems are probably not due to sapsuckers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow-bellied sapsucker

o

My hubby thought the tree was dying. It's just losing its leaves because it's fall. The garden guru, our horticultural expert from church, confirmed that it is a yellow bellied sapsucker attacking our tree and that it should live. Phew! I'm so glad. It's our favorite shade tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here