Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imatallun

SE Florida Banana Lover Alert.!!!

imatallun
15 years ago

I had the most wonderful experience today responding to a Craig's list posting for banana plants for sale for $5 each.

Turned out the poster is the President of the International Banana Society, a banana lover extraordinaire with superb knowledge, grace and well...exceptionally good juju.

Here's what I selected: Misiluki, Goldfinger and Pitogo. $5 each for very nice sized plants. He has palms and broms and other cool stuff. It would be a shame not to share, so here's the Craig's List Post...

http://treasure.craigslist.org/grd/967454985.html

I got a blooming Billbergia of unknown species. (It makes my heart go pitter patter!) Jarrod isn't moving for a couple of weeks, it would be well worth a visit even if it's a day trip for you. (Right off I-95, Stuart exit.)

Comments (14)

• imatallun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After thought, just please don't rip Jarrod off (STEAL) if you visit his sale, because I'd be totally consumed in guilt if that happened because I sent you! (Some members will "get" this.)

• tropicalfreak
    15 years ago

So, how long was the ride for you? I am in Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks, Cliff

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Wow, that's an amazing list...wish I didn't live so far away :-(

• imatallun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cliff, it was a 19 minute ride for me. If you see something that appeals on the list, I'll pick it up and hold it for you for the next swap.

Same to you Tom & Cath, I'll be back in Tampa for the next USF Sale in Spring. As the d Irishman pointed out, I plant and remove bananas like bouganvillea. I told him the ones I picked out are "keepers". I'm sooooo excited! Upcoming feature to backyard = Banana Alley.

Now if I can combine Banana Alley with Vertical Gardening (Tom and/or Cath), well Holy Moly!

I drive a little Sedan. Yesterday I really wished I had a great big SUV.

• imatallun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aww...no responses. I was kind of excited about the potential of being a Bananas Foster. Tee hee hee.

All joking aside, Cliff, I'd say this is worth a Treasure Coast visit. My neighbor went today - got three banana clumps, 2 broms, and a bottleneck palm. $5 a pop.
    Just seeing and touching the Royal Hawaiian banana plant and pups (not for sale) is well worth the trip. The leaf of that beautiful banana feels like silk. Both the stalk and the leaves have the most beautiful green/white varigation. I've never seen anything like it, banana wise.

Local lore has it that Hawaiian royalty killed anyone caught trying to steal that particular species.

I'm planting banana alley on Thursday. Can't wait...

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Sorry, just getting back to this message now....I don't have room for any more, I staggered three Mahoi's, bought sight unseen, in my tiered planter. I'd much rather have been able to come down there and pick plants based on a visual...we'll see how it goes. Maybe you can grow pole beans up the banana stalks ;-)

• ariel73
    15 years ago

I wish I were closer. I would love to get the Musa 'Variegated Giant Indonesian'.
    Very Pretty.

Is the Royal Hawaiian banana the Ae ae?

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Yo garden hoe! Is it too late to put in an order and have you babysit? you know I have a brom addiction and 2 other bananas other than ice cream would help feed my banana habit. Email and let me know and I'll send you a check.
    sjkdavis at bell south dot net.
    Thanks and HAPPY New Year!

• imatallun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom&Cath, thanks for the vertical visual, you crack me up! (Hope to see some pic's of what you have going on vertically some time by the way...hint hint.)

Ariel, Jarrod told me the name of the Royal Hawaiian, it could have been Ae Ae, sounds right...but I was in sensory overload banana wise, and didn't retain the name.

My neighbor scored a rare blue bromeliad. The bloom is going to be blue too! Holy moly! I've been promised the first the first pup for turning her on to Jarrod.

The mileage may be worthy, Ariel...

Yo garden hoe, it isn't too late! You've got mail and I get to be a banana foster, which is just what I wanted for 2009!

• miamial
    15 years ago

His yard is amazing... We went up this morning, and basically took one of each of his edibles. I really hope that they survive in pots until the pool is done so I can plant them in the yard.

My wife and I went from discussing getting a few banana trees a few months ago, to seeing the varieties on the web, to having 20 different varieties of bananas in pots in our backyard, all in a very short period of time.

I told Jarred he's welcome to any of the pups he wants when he is ready to rebuild his collection... he's a great guy, and I am glad to give his trees nice homes.

• gardenweb_thepaymentgateway_com
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Marilyn, you got a Billbergia Amoena, I checked my notes.

I still have some plants left so if anyone wants to stop by, please contact me. Best way is send me a message on the Banana Society website, this is my page:

http://www.bananas.org/member-mediahound.html

Regards,
    Jarred

Here is a link that might be useful: International Banana Society

• bananasdotorg
    15 years ago

How do you edit a post on here? I guess I wasn't logged in properly and it's displaying my email address. Oh well, lol!

• coffeemom
    15 years ago

Hi Jarred, I can't seem to send you an email but Imatallun may be swinging by tues and if you have any broms left and 2 smaller tree eating bananas, I'd be very grateful.(I have ice cream and am not crazy about dwarf cavandish but then it could be me since I didn't treat it well)

• imatallun
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi again,

Cliff, thanks for sending Jarred this link. I look forward to seeig you again in Spring.

Kristy, I had to postpone Tuesday but I'm headed south tomorrow and will pick up your two scrumptious banana plants. I have a feeling that the brom collection will have been clipped clean.

Gotta go ... check the 'nanner site...M