Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Pink Bleeding Heart Vine (clerodendrum thomsoniae)

My small cutting of pink bleeding heart vine (clerodendrum thomsoniae) has turned into a huge monster, sprawling vine! And it is blooming like crazy. So very pretty. I'm so excited to have this plant as I wanted one for a long, long time. Two questions for those of you with experience with pink bleeding heart:

1) When it freezes back during this winter, as it will undoubtedly will here in Jacksonville, should I go ahead and cut it back all the way to the roots? Last year, it was a tiny thing when it froze back. When it came back in the spring, it came back from the roots only. All of the above-ground growth was deader than a doornail. But this year, the vines are much bigger and stronger. Will any of that above-ground growth survive to next year?

2) I want to trellis it next year and get it off the ground. It is crawling all over the tops of nearby plants. I haven't figured out what kind of trellis/support would work best because it isn't the kind of vine that has tendrils. I am going to have to tie it up or somehow train it to the trellis. It doesn't climb on its own. It is currently planted right next to a small tree and not a single vine went up in that direction. If you have yours supported, would you please post photos and/or instructions? I would love to get some good ideas!

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (9)

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Carol why don't take some cuttings if you see a freeze coming and put them inside, they root very easyly. I took cutting of mine last year and kept it protected and in the spring I had a leggy plant but it got healthy real quik.
    Carmen

• corar4gw
    12 years ago

You can't kill that stuff! I've been trying to get rid of it for years. cora

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

Ditto.
    I have tried to kill this invasive vine and every year it returns.
    It is a difficult vine to " train" up a trellis.
    The plant just sprawls all over the place and then gets up and moves.
    May have to resort to glyphosphate.
    Or a bulldozer.
    With a flame thrower.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow - you guys have lots of experience with this! Answer to #1? #2?

Thanks!
    Carol

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Gatormom, you are too funny!!!!

Carol, you know obsessed gardeners we try it all, LOL

• alys_esmond USDA 5b Toronto
    12 years ago

Mine had very thick "trunks" that were deader than a doornail come spring. Any new growth came back from the ground, so feel free to hack it back once it gets frozed.

I've two patches, one in the shade of the maple tree, one in full sun, the one in full sun really struggled to come back come spring. Came up, wilted and died. Thought it was dead and gone, but danged if didn't sprout back up again starting about 6 weeks ago, and now the patch is wider-spread than ever. No flowers yet, so it's a waiting game to see what comes first: Flowers or Freeze...

One patch is in front of a chain link fence and it just kinda winds itself through it. The other is in front of a reed fence in front of chain link, it wound itself through the reed fence there, and wouldn't you know it, all the flowers were in my neighbors yard! So I put a 3-step "ladder" trellis in the middle of it to give it support on my side of the fence and now there's more flower on my side now. It definitely likes moral support from horizontal surfaces, so I can see it not wanting to climb a tree trunk.

I really like the plant and have the space, so started some cuttings that I'll plant in the spring.
    Such pretty, complex flowers!

From Garden

From Garden

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

I also have the white one.
    Was told this is more cold sensitive and harder to grow.
    WRONG!
    It is not as invasive as the red/pink but just as stubborn.
    Pagoda plants are also Clerodendrums- an even more invasive plant.
    Clerodedrum is a large family with many agressive members.
    These are listed by UF as Non-native Plants in Florida's Natural Areas:

Clerodendrum bungei

Clerodendrum chinense

Clerodendrum indicum

Clerodendrum speciosissimum

Clerodendrum trichotomum

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, I sure do love this menace.

• regine_Z 10 Fl gw
    12 years ago

My husband built an arch type structure for our Bleeding Heart by buidling a frame out of 4x4's and attaching lattice to the sides and top. It has worked out very well because I don't have to tie the plant to the lattice, it grows through the openings and is well supported.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville