Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Root The Golden Chalice Vine?

Posted by poohbearlvr S.Fla ,Z10 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 20:04

How do you root the Variagated form of the chalice vine? I have the regular chalice vine, it grows like a weed,but my variagated one that only puts out 3-5 blooms around this time,and like 5 new leaves a year. But the blooms are absolutely HUGE,50% bigger than the huge golden chalice flowers! But it has no scent at all. I need to take cuttings and root it,the plant is so small,but has 5 good stems to cut and root.
My regular vine grows wild and I have to hack it back year round, I THINK it roots in water. Is that right? Or is soil the way to go?
The varigated one barely puts out a few new leaves a year. So I thought I should ask how to take cuttings,and get them to root.
I cant afford to loose any of this plant. So,does anyone KNOW how to root both of these with the best success? They are both blooming now, the regular one is covered in blooms, I am getting 3 buds on the varigated one. So i will wait till they are done. But whats the best way to get rooted cuttings from them.
Esp. the varigated one. Those bloms are suppose to be fragrant to,but mine have no scent at all,not at night or during the day. None at all, but the bloom is SO wide and open it is VERY odd. Not like other varigated ones I have seen,so I want to save it and make more. Help???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Root The Golden Chalice Vine?

Since it's a vine, can you take one of the vines and lay it over a pot of soil? I would cut v's in opposite sides of the top of the pot, lay the vine in there and put a weight over the vine to hold it in place.

It may send out roots from a node over time. Then you can cut the vine away from the main plant.

o

Due to the short length of the variegated vine, i cant root it that way. The stems are only like a foot long and very stiff,if I try to bend them they will snap off.

o

I have rooted my variegated one. I had about a 50% success rate but I didn't try real hard. I took cuttings in the spring and rooted them in dirt. I did nothing out of the ordinary, just kept them in the shade till ready. My chalice is more like a large shrub than a vine. All the variegated chalice vines I have seen are much smaller than the standard green ones.

o

Same as keiki, I have had no problem getting cuttings to root in the spring.
Linda Leaf

o

well my regular chalice vine is a huge shrub,if I dont cut it back monthly, it would be an enormous vine,...the variagated one is still only like 2 feet tall and 5 stems,after 4 years. But its flowers make the regular chalice vine blooms look like miniature chalices,comapered to the varigated blooms, thats why I want to save it and root more, in case the 'mother plant' dies or it gets eaten by bugs or anything. Even with no scent from it, the variagted bloom if massive! It is suppose to smell as wonderful as the regular chalice vine,but mine has no scent at all. so I think I have a rare 'sport' or something. And want to root more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here