Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Five New Camellias Chansonette!

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 11 at 20:17

Happiness is... five new camellias Chansonette encircling my backyard oak. I could just eat them up!

I am partial to camellias that are pink and have hidden stamen. Crazy, maybe, but I love camellias like Pink Perfection that have nothing but petals all the way to the center of the flower. (Maybe because I am not a big fan of yellow?) Chansonette couldn't be more perfect.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Five New Camellias Chansonette!

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 7:14

Carol, that IS perfection. I can finish my coffee now as I have my ornamental fix for the day. Incredible flowers.

Anna

o

I was just thinking how much I like camellias. They look nice all year and give me no trouble with diseases or pests. Yours are very pretty.

o

Thanks so much! Camellias are great for so many reasons: cold hardy, evergreen (don't lose leaves in winter) and flowering. I am slowly but surely planting camellias all the way around the perimeter of the house.

Chansonette is a small, weeping variety. It makes a good low hedge, espalier or ground cover.

o

Very pretty. I planted a camellia this spring as an experiment but the vicious weedwacker person got it and it just died. How well do they do in southwest Florida? Is it too hot for them in the summer here? I know they like acid soil but most of ours is fill that has limestone-seashell type chunks in it so I'm guessing it's alkaline.
Marcia

o

They do fine in the St. Pete area so probably they'd do well for you too. Mine get afternoon shade. I've never pruned them. They grow slowly.

o

Oh, what a beauty! I miss my camellias from Savannah...wahhhh. I don't think any camellias grow this far south though, sadly. But we can live vicariously through your photos at least.
Randy

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 16:40

I was in Lowes yesterday, and they had several types-colors camellias... a pinky-red, a white, and another I think, all were $14.95... as I recall... it said on the tag 'shade' or only morning-sun.... they also had a dark-burgundy and red shrimp plant, also some passiflora, blue and white.. and more vines than usual....I had to work hard to restrain myself!!... sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here