Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Big Stingray Alocasia.......

PoohBearLvr
10 years ago

Hi., I posted a question asking how to grow this HUGE specimen I just got yesterday at Lowes. Since I am in south Fla. Maybe someone in here would know its care for our area. You know our 'soil' is mainly sand, should I amend the soil with anything? Does it need full sun, or full shade or morning sun,or what? I want to get this big plant to stay big and grow and have its babies grow. I had a little one that died in less than 2 weeks! What a waste of money. So...any ideas/help would be great, This was my X-Mas gift to myself. Only one this year. I'd like it to live and thrive.

Comments (3)

• rchawk3
    10 years ago

Ive had one over a year now in a large pot. Its doubled in size and made a baby. I keep it in part sun. Lots of morning and late afternoon sun but overhead shade from trees during the hottest part of the day. It seems to grow best when it stays evenly moist (loved all the rain in summer) although it didn't die when i would occasionally miss watering it. In the ground I would expect it to grow even better. I would definitely amend the soil with some compost and mulch it really well.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I have these plants and I agree on amending the soil. You still want it well drained but it likes to have a richer soil than sand. It likes to be watered but since it is an alocasia, it doesn't like as much water as a colocasia especially in the winter or the roots/corm will certainly rot.
    I give full morning sun and dappled afternoon shade. Seems to do okay.
    You could also keep it in a large pot as if you wanted to and move it around to see where it likes it best in your yard. I would mix a lot of perlite into the potting soil (maybe a 1/4 perlite) and perhaps some medium sized orchids potting media as well, to keep the soil loose.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. Can you tell me if it will grow/live in its 3 gallon pot, inside on a screened in porch? The soil its in seems to be very rich, the plant is doing very well in it. It is about 4ft tall and has a baby coming up. But will this big one be susceptible to spider mites, like my other baby one was? Or once they get to this size, they are immune to them? If not, what can be sprayed on them and not kill the plant? I tend to get things that SAY they are for houseplants/rose/flowering plants, I spray them and the plant is dead within a week! Including the Bayer products, that are suppose to be SO great for next to everything. That was an expensive spray & lesson.