Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retiredflorida

Anybody growing the Jade Vine?

RetiredFlorida
11 years ago

Just picked up a Strongylodon macrobotrys aka Jade or Emerald Vine and was hoping to hear from anyone else in Florida growing this beauty.

Darren

Comments (10)

• foreverlad
    11 years ago

WOW Darren, that's an amazing plant. I'd never heard or seen it before your post (and some research, obviously).

Looks absolutely stunning. Sadly, its not the sort of plant that would fit my landscape plans, but I would most definitely plan around one should I have a new yard to work with.

Btw- where'd you manage to find the Jade vine?

Mike

• hester_2009
    11 years ago

I, too, want to know where you found this plant. All my local nurseries tell me it is too expensive for them to carry. (and for me to buy!)
    I know it is very tropical, not particularly easy to grow outside of very south Florida....but you may have luck.
    I would love to be able to try one at least.
    they come in red or jade...coolest vine and I've always wanted one.Please keep us posted as to how you do with it . Photos would also be grand!
    Hester

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>not particularly easy to grow outside of very south Florida.

They have a spectacular jade vine at McKee Garden in Vero, so not just very south FL. :)

EDIT Here's a pic of the one at Mckee:

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 17:26

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike,
    Well my baby is just 8 months old and probably won't bloom for another year, it is not much to look at now.

Hester, didn't you see one in your backyard, haha? Crowley's Nursery. Yes they are expensive, they're not prohibitive. Crowley's had the red one too as well as all kinds of other beautiful vines, too many to mention.

Writersblock, that is very encouraging and exactly the type of information I was looking for. So many talented gardeners push the envelope of growing tropical plants here and I'm hoping to do the same. It will probably end up in a greenhouse, but either way.

Now I have two excuses to visit the east coast, Katkin ;-)

If anybody has seen one of these elsewhere I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Darren

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

hi
    I struggled with the red for several years .Seemed rather easy to grow except for temps.. maintained it in my shadehouse but needs to get rather large to flower.
    I certainly wouldn't plant yours out until late into spring. Certainly choose a sheltered spot where you can rig up some temporary protection when necessary. Certainly one of the worlds most beautiful flowers!!! Good luck gary

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I did have it once, but it is gone now. I am not sure what happened to it, but I probably didn't take very good care of it at the time. It does get big and I think it needs an arbor or pergula to grow on, this way the flowers can hang down and it has enough support.

Darren, come on over. :o)

• keiki
    11 years ago

I have had it twice, cold got it both times here in zone 10. Saw a huge one in Hawaii growing on an old dead tree. It was the most beautiful thing, it just stopped me in my tracks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If you're thinking about visiting McKee, I'm not sure how the Jade vine will do this year, since it got pruned pretty severely for their current exhibit of Frabel glass. It's on this pergola, but normally the vegetation is much, much thicker.

{{gwi:990357}}

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Dec 20, 12 at 12:32

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Darn it, don't know why that didn't work. Here you go:

• RetiredFlorida
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gary.

Katkin, yeah 18" of blooms that probably weigh a few pounds is gonna need some substantial support. We're keeping your invite in mind....

Keiki thank you. That is my biggest concern too.

Thanks Writersblock.

I probably should call Crowley's in a month or two I bet theirs will be blooming come to think of it.

Darren