Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold protection for young mango trees

Posted by jofus 9b/10a Englewood (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 21:12

Yesterday ( Mon the 27th ) I couldn't wait to get home from work to cover my 5 young mango trees ( in ground 9 months ) with sheets tied together with clothes pins, - a laborious job after working all day. I already had the large C-9 Xmass tree bulbs strung throughout each tree, plus the trunks wrapped in pipe insulation. But the thought of 28 deg temps had me energized.
Now it appears we are in for another cold night, although only a low of 34 degrees is forcast here. Trouble is, I am pooped after removing all the sheets this morning because I have been told leaving them on during the day will actually fry the trees. True ?
Also, is there any concensus out there that by just turning on the Xmass tree lights will be enough to protect these trees, especially since the trunks are wrapped ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold protection for young mango trees

It is not true that the sheets will fry your trees. At least mine have not suffered from leaving sheets on a couple of days. What we have done is put a 500 watt flood light under the tree. So far, so good. My neighbor has a small mango all by itself in the middle of his large yard. He never attempts to protect it at all. Last year BEFORE the freeze it was down to about three leaves. After the freeze, it began to thrive and actually produced it's first fruit ever. Go figure. Our own trees, which we did protect, also took off in the spring and produced well. It appears that mangoes can take temps down to around 28 at least here.

o
RE: Cold protection for young mango trees

• Posted by jofus 9b/10a Englewood (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 19:01

pawsnplants : I appreciate your experience. A relief for me. The next time I see a prediction of two cold nights below 34 degrees within a day or two of each other, I will just leave the sheets on the trees. I do believe that simply stringing Christmas tree lights will not be enough to save a young mango tree on those below 30 deg nights.
Hopefully the next month will be kinder, weather wise. ( smile )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here