Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alys_esmond

Potato Gardening Fun and Games

Built a new raised bed for cold weather veggies this year. Allocated about half of the bed (maybe 6' x 10') to potatoes and the rest to onions, garlic, radish, beets (somebody's eating the beet tops though) carrots (somebody dug up the carrots) and asparagus (somebody dug up one asparagus fern... sensing a trend????)

The squirrels seem hell-bent on searching for something in the beds. Every morning there's a new crop of holes, even in the planters. They don't seem to have designs on my plants, I think the plants just get in their way, but, dammit, they keep digging stuff UP! The potato bed looks like a lunarscape... pitted with craters. My first few are poking their heads up, so hopefully the mining hasn't done too much damage.

Something else is poking its head up too:

{{gwi:990974}}

this weird fungus. Any ideas on what it is? For now I'm calling it ear mushroom. And have the burning question in my mind: If pulling unwanted plants is "weeding" is pulling unwanted mushrooms "mushrooming?"

My azaleas are making me happy right now, though. The Autumn Rouge didn't do much growing this year, but they are putting on quite a show:

{{gwi:990975}}

Hopefully the rest of the leaves will fall off the maple soon so the maters can get some more sun, poor things have screeched to a halt as the sun is struggling to rise above our roof. Come onnnnn winter solstice!

Comments (5)