Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato Gardening Fun and Games

Posted by alys_esmond 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 17, 11 at 21:32

Built a new raised bed for cold weather veggies this year. Allocated about half of the bed (maybe 6' x 10') to potatoes and the rest to onions, garlic, radish, beets (somebody's eating the beet tops though) carrots (somebody dug up the carrots) and asparagus (somebody dug up one asparagus fern... sensing a trend????)

The squirrels seem hell-bent on searching for something in the beds. Every morning there's a new crop of holes, even in the planters. They don't seem to have designs on my plants, I think the plants just get in their way, but, dammit, they keep digging stuff UP! The potato bed looks like a lunarscape... pitted with craters. My first few are poking their heads up, so hopefully the mining hasn't done too much damage.

Something else is poking its head up too:

this weird fungus. Any ideas on what it is? For now I'm calling it ear mushroom. And have the burning question in my mind: If pulling unwanted plants is "weeding" is pulling unwanted mushrooms "mushrooming?"

My azaleas are making me happy right now, though. The Autumn Rouge didn't do much growing this year, but they are putting on quite a show:

Hopefully the rest of the leaves will fall off the maple soon so the maters can get some more sun, poor things have screeched to a halt as the sun is struggling to rise above our roof. Come onnnnn winter solstice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato Gardening Fun and Games

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 18, 11 at 8:27

Hi Alys,

Great fungi specimen you have there. Never seen that particular type, however, take it as a good sign that you've created an environment with a lot of good organic matter. Look at that bit of soil on your glove!

About the squirrels- we've been having a bumper crop of acorns this year and the squirrels are busy burying them for the winter. They, of course prefer an area where the soil is soft and easy to dig! They used to dig up my garden doing this until Christine suggested holographic tape. I've put this about two feet off the ground in different areas of the garden and I've not had a squirrel digging there since. It will blow in the wind and send funky light streaks and the squirrels seem wary of it. Maybe even the noise it makes in the wind. Definitely organic! I was waiting for it to happen this year since there are acorns all around the garden now, but they go elsewhere. Thanks again, Christine!

Anna

o

That looks like a Jew's ear fungus, Auricularia auricula-judae. I have eaten them before but they don't taste like much and don't have a pleasing texture. I have had lots of them growning on a dead ficus this year. The ficus was killed by last year's freezes.

o

Hi Alys,

That is a beautiful Azalea and some fabulous looking dirt!

Elizabeth

o

It IS nice dirt, thank you very much :-)

It's something we get from a guy we found on craigslist, a lovely mix of compost and native soil. $15 a cubic yard plus delivery. He charged me $50 to bring 3 yards from Geneva to West Orlando. The local landscape nurseries nearby wanted $35/yd for "topsoil" plus $50 delivery.

This year we added a bag of black chicken (pee-yew) and the plants are EXTRA happy.

Tried putting up strips of aluminum foil vs. squirrels, new holes this morning. Where do you get this holographic tape? Do you think an old CD would work?

o

nice fungi pic......we get all kinds of weird stuff coming up,usually it's good.....nice azalea...camellia's here are popping and blooming....enjoy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here