Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ka0ttic

Watermelons

ka0ttic
10 years ago

I recently acquired some heirloom Ali Baba watermelon seeds and was wanting to try growing them this spring. I believe this particular variety can get 15-30lbs and is roughly 90 days to harvest.

I've done a little bit of research on growing watermelons online and know the basics but I'm trying to find out information specific to our area. I was just wondering if anyone had some tips/advice for growing watermelons in FL?

I don't have a huge amount of space to dedicate to in-ground stuff. Most of what I will be growing will be in containers but the little bit of in-ground space I have I wanted to use for these watermelons. I think I'll have enough space to do 2 hills 6-8 ft apart with 3-4 plants per hill.

I know watermelons will love our heat but my biggest worry would be our humidity and the amount of rain we get during the summer months and problems that may result from this such as fusarium wilt and other fungal diseases. I'm on the coast (Daytona area) and you can almost set your watch to the afternoon storms...

Thanks for any advice!

Aaron

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus