Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree with edible beans

Posted by dirtygardener73 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 23:07

Last year, someone brought me some beans from a tree. They were edible, and very tasty. I saved some, but they rotted when I tried to plant them. I'd really like to have more seeds so I can try to grow it again. I simply cannot remember the name, and the person has moved away.

Anyone have a clue? It's a tropical tree, if that helps, and there is a wild variety that grows here that has non-edible beans.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree with edible beans

Never mind. Just was reading and saw the name...tamarind. Anyone have any spare seeds they'd like to share for postage?

o

Go to any Indian or Caribbean grocery store and you'll find the seeds there. Tamarindus indica - Indian Tamarind - is a very large tree (to 60') that requires full sun and a sandy soil.

o

Tamarind comes in a sour variety and a sweet one. Which one did you try?

A lot of nurseries sell the trees. Where are you located?

I was thinking about other edible bean though, that one is a big bean in the soursop family.

Silvia

o

Species of Inga also have edible "bean" pods. Its often called Ice Cream Bean as the pods have a sweet pulp. It is also a large growing tropical tree.Inga edulis is the most common.

Eric
Orlando,FL

o

Eric, I'm glad to see your name on the Garden Web again. Where have you been hiding? Our group, Osceola Master Gardeners, was at Leu Gardens this past Monday. I looked for you but only saw Bob. Visit us often, please.

o

Thanks, everyone, but I don't have any ethnic food stores around here close by, and I don't drive. The one I tasted was sweet. I really liked them.

o

Before you invest the number of years necessary to grow a tamarind tree and discover that you have nurtured an inferior specimen you should consider purchasing a seedling of a named variety.

The truth is that many seeds don't come true to the fruit you may have eaten (tamarind, avocado, etc) and the time investment is soooo long. Or if someone has a tree of good fruit you could beg for some cuttings which will be true since they are the same tree.

The internet makes mail-order purchases possible. I got my tamarind on ebay from a FL seller. (Too small to offer cuttings, sorry).

o

Pigeon peas grows on a tree/shrub.
Featherhoof has the bean pictured
on an earlier post.
I bought a tree at Mounts Sale in Nov,
but probably won't be keeping it.
Beans are one of my least favorite foods.........cheryl

o

The sweet tamarind seeds from thailand don't germinate. Probably irradiated like they do to durians. Many have tried including me. No success story has been found. Publix sells the dried sour tamarind if you want to try your hand at growing one. I heard the sour tamarind seeds come true because you're likely to get sour tamarind in end :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here