Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allamanda, Dipladenia or Mandevilla?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 23:10

What are the main differences between allamanda, dipladenia and mandevilla? Next spring/summer, I want one a pink flowering vine, I just don't know which one. Are any of these the same plant? Or are all three different? If they are different, which do you prefer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allamanda, Dipladenia or Mandevilla?

Dipladenia is, I have read, is a synonium (sp) of Mandevilla. I have an Allamanda 'Cherries Jubilee' which is a much larger flower than the Mandeville. It is not so much a vining plant as the Mandevilla, but I have to keep it tied up to a lattice. The Mandevilla is more lke a vine. I bought it as a small shrub, but the new growth has tendrils like a vine. I like them both. They freeze back here in DeLand, but they always come back. The Mandevilla is a truer red and I believe the name is 'Scarlet' I see exactly the same plant sold as Dipladenia and Mandevilla.
john

o

Thanks, John! I appreciate the info.

o

A friend gave me an allamanda seed pod. So far, it is closed tightly. It is sitting on my counter in a small bowl. How long until it cracks open? Has anyone had any luck growing allamanda from seed? Thanks again for the help and advice!

o

Allamandas can be grown as container plants on a support system, as a hanging basket trailing plant or in warmer climates as an inground plant. They can get leggy and they like to sprawl. Our plants in Sebring took over a 12 foot fence and grew 9 feet tall. I was always pruning them and they kept bushing and growing. They will tolerate temperatures down to around 25 F but will generally come back from a freeze. They are more of a shrub type plant than a vine.

Botanically Dipladenia and Mandevilla are the same but there is a difference in Dipladenia or mandevilla sanderii. The former are generally large leaved vines that have large trumpet flowers and the predominant color is a very deep fushia or red color. There are some different cultivars in varying shades. The latter is somewhat different as the leaves are much smaller and they do not tend to climb. They are used more as container or semi-hanging basket plants. They do not do too well inground and prefer to remain containerized. If you are looking for a vine then you wish to go with the true mandevilla. I have a unique varigated leaf with light lavender flowers. They do not like cold weather too much but will grow up and up. The Dipladenia are extremely happy with beachfront conditions. Neither like cold wet feet in the winter and they make it the first year but will die the sccond. Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here