Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID?

Posted by tybonium z7 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 05 at 5:19

Hello all. I haven't really posted much, but have found reading this forum to be a great help!

I recently went to wal-mart and happened to see three foliage plants in one pot, for about $4. It seems I just can't say no to more plants, so I went ahead and picked one up. One of the plants looks to be a croton (different from the one I already have, but there are just *so* many of those), but the other 2 I'm not sure about. I think I have seen some like them before, but I find it *very* difficult to try and search for foliage plants since the discription of so many sound the same.

I'm curious about the tall plant on the left (narrow leaves, with a reddish tint on the edges)

and the shorter plant, with dark leaves, and white/yellow spots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tybo's Delirium

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID?

...I'm curious about the tall plant on the left (narrow leaves, with a reddish tint on the edges)....

A dracaena aka as spike plant?

o

It didn't even occur to me that it looked like a dracaena! I have a bigger dracaena (can't remember the name of it) and the leaves grown out of the middle like that. Thanks so much for the info.

o
answer found!

Thanks to the suggestion by BostonGardens, I found the ID of the other plant as well.

The taller plant appears to be a Dracaena marginata (although there is no woody stem, but the plant seems young).

The other plant appears to be a Dracaena surculosa.

Thanks so much for your help.

o

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 8, 05 at 12:51

Tybonium, Glad you found your id so quickly...the folks on GW are so helpful (and knowledgeable). You might also like to bookkmark the site below... I signed up for a weekly email but you can also just browse the site for good photos and growing info. josh
P.S. I've been growing the Dracaena surculosa but thought it was D. godseffiana ...maybe name has been changed...or my memory wrong...I'm off to do some research. I've been growing tropicals for 40 years but still learning. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant of the Week

o

I bought 2 of those same baskets! They had a couple different Crotons in there, as well as 2 different Dracaena marginatas. The speckled one is a D. surculosa (some still call D. godseffiana) cv. 'Florida Beauty'. My Codieaum have since croaked, but the other plants are holding their own.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena surculosa 'Florida Beauty'

o

Rosemarie,

I'm really wishing I would have gotten more than one, but they didn't have anymore when I went back:( Unfortunately, my store only had that one assortment.

They are a wonderful size for my window, and the marginatas add a nice flair. As you can probably see in my picture, there was *a lot* of soil overflowing the basket that I got, so I ended up dumping some of it out and then spraying down the plants. To my surprise, and delight, I found a second marginata that was mostly buried. It's at the base of the croton and I just didn't even see it before.
I hope you enjoy yours!!
-Tylina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here