Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Indoor Plants

Posted by Jeffmm2 z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 04 at 12:47

Hi. I'm new to this part of the forum and was wondering if anybody of you know any good indoor plants that grow year after year. I heard that Christmas Cactus is one, and another are Philodendrons.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Indoor Plants

There are so many, Jeff. Did you try reading the posts on the Houseplant Forum here?

o

There are many good plants. I would recommend the spider plant and any dracena type plant. Both are common houseplants.

o

You may want to check on Aglaonema, to me it's among the easiest plants to grow.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

I would recommend the Golden Pothos (vine type plant with green leaves with streaks of yellow through them), the Snake Plant a very very easy plant to grow...barely needs any water and basically "thrives on neglect", another I would say would be the Rubber Plant also a very easy one. Good luck with whatever you end up choosing : )

o

I second turtlegirl03, spider plants are just great, and so rewarding! after a year or two ( sometimes sooner) you will get shoots with baby spider plants and before you know it youu'll have a spider infestation you can live with.
peace and green thumbs forever
laura
ps. the scientific name is Chlorophytum.

o

Jeff,

Aloe plants are fairly easy to grow as well as a parlor palm. There are so many. How about an oxalis? They are sometimes call shamrocks (red and green) and can be found around Saint paddys day. Hurry they will be gone in a couple of days!

o
RE: Good Indoor Plants 2

Jeff,

I thought of a couple more. Again, there are lots of plants to choose from, and as Marguerite recommented, the house plant forum is somewhere you could go. But, how about a jade plant? They are pretty easy. Also, Maranta (prayer plant, green or red)are very easy to grow.

Larry

o

Jeff, What kind of lighting do you have to offer your plants? There are so many to choose from that lighting can help narrow down your choices and make it a little easer to pick the right plant.

o

Some good choices mentioned and even better, they are recognized as having high air-purifying qualities.
Schefflera
Aglaonema
Peace Lily
Chorophytum
Cissus
My personal favorite indoor plant is Crassula or Jade plant. Runners-up include the oh-so-generous flowering plants, the Xmas cactus and Abutilon or flowering maple.

o

I'm enjoying an aspidistra "Milky Way", which has been living happily in my living room for six months.

It's only been watered three times, and is growing. Amazing.

And, it only cost me $3!

Here is a link that might be useful: Milky Way Aspidistra (cast iron plant)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here