Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identify

Posted by newgardender30 Z5 CHICAGO (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 04 at 1:08

Hi, could anyone please help me identify a beautiful plant that my family used to have in Southwest Mexico? It was quite tall (5 to 6 feet) and wide, but its most important feature was that it had this long and dense foliage consisting of cascading stems with tiny silverly leaves that drooped all the way to the ground. We called it 'Velo de Novia' in Spanish, which translated would be Bride's veil.

I don't remember this bush producing any flowers. it's main color was silver/gray and it had like a fine texture to the touch quite similar to Lamb's ear.

I hope someone can recognize these characteristics and tell me the real name of that bush. I know I probably won't be able to grow it outdoors here in Chicago, but I'd be willing to try it indoors.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identify

How about Teucrium fruticans? though this does get blue flowers.

o

It sounds like Dichondra silver falls, but I've never heard of it becoming a bush!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dichondra Silver Falls

o

It sounds to me like Helichrysum petiolaris, aka silver licorice.

o

Hello. The plant you are talking about its called frangipani and the variaty is plumeria pudica, the name in english is "Bridal bouquet", and it gives you white flowers with a yellow dot in the inside of the flower. all year round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images - Plumeria Pudica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here