Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are hypoestes really short lived?

Posted by shic_2006 4a 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 06 at 12:24

Mine are beautiful with pink dots. But 2 of them dried up and died, without any obvious reason. The others are healthy and well. Older leaves tend to dry up too. What is the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are hypoestes really short lived?

Hi,

These little gems need very high humidity. You could try one on a pebble tray and keep moist. They dont like any bright sun either. Not an easy plant to grow indoors. I think they are best in a terrarium or outdoors as an annual in our zone.

Jen

o

The pot is sitting on a mesh over a tray of water. It only receives partial sun light from about 3:40 pm to sunset. I added plant growing lighting as a supplementary light source. I also frequently mist them.

To check if there is root rot, I actually checked the soil with the proper tool/meter. It is good, moist but not too wet.

The only thing I can think of might be:

(1) the 3 Miraco-grow fertilizer spikes I added into the pot.
(2) the office temperature is maintained at a constant 68 F. There are no day and night temperature differences.

Could there be other factors?

o

The following plant has some dried edges already. The dry-up may spread to the whole plant ... despite humid environment.

o

Sounds like you are doing about everything right.

Maybe they are getting more sun than you think. It seems the leaves are fried from sunlight. I'd move them into very little sun (maybe a north window) and see what happens. Either that of they were overfertilized.

Jen

o

ok, thanks Jen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here