Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grice_gw

Fish emolsion/Yea or Nay???

grice
19 years ago

I am curious to know is fish emulsion good to use on all houseplant and palms? Is it safe to use in conjunction with miricle gro or is that a no -no? Also how often would I use it? Does it smell like fish?

If these sound like dumb questions,please bear with me and do not stone me(I'm a newbie).

Thanks all

Grice

Comments (23)

• mkjones
    19 years ago

Yay. Hiya, Grice. I use fish emulsion like you would a vitamin. It's wonderful to help a limping plant, to beef up an existing beauty, and good to keep a plant healthy. It does smell rather unpleasant, so I often will take a plant outdoors, water it w/the emulsion and let it air out. That usually does the trick. I've never used it regularly on a plant, but I think it would be just fine. I would refrain from using it WITH MiracleGro, simply because it is a fertilizer, the organic alternative to the chemical MG.

No question is a dumb question!! =)

MKJ

• grice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks MKJ,both for the answer and the reassurance.
    Happy Spring(it's almost here.YEA!!!!)
    Grice

• Bossy vossy
    19 years ago

great product but yes, it stinks but just for a little bit. not enough to keep me from using

• grice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you Vossner.
    Grice

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    19 years ago

I like it and the smell doesn't bother me at all, they do make it oderless for those that do not like the smell.

Tom

• grice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tommy.
    Grice

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Fish emulsion is good for cactus..If you want, you can alternate: one month fish emulsion..the next month Miracle Gro, etc, etc..It's safe on plants, doesn't burn roots, (as far as I've read) but doesn't require all the nutrients as other foods. Toni

• cynthiacTX
    19 years ago

I use seaweed emulsion. My plants LOVE it!

• grice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Cynthiac for the response. Now is seaweed better(in your opinon)than fish emulsion?
    Happy easter and thanks again for the response.
    Grice

• CitrusViolet
    19 years ago

Definate Yay! here! I use it on everything I grow. I have found my plants to adore it, and from houseplants to seedlings, everything is growing beautifully (huge lush, blooming healthy plants!)! Plus, if you dont need alot of it, and a bottle will last a long time if you are a average home gardener! -Cassie

• grice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Glad to hear it Cassie!!
    I (believe it or not)have yet to try it on my houseplants. I keep going out to get it,but instead keep returning from Lowes with yet another plant instead,lol. Thankfully,my plants seem to be doing okay without it. Though I must admit that I have to break down and buy some. I am the guy that started this thread afterall.
    Continued success.
    Grice

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

The kelp and fish formula are completly different. The fish provides the macronutrients and a few micronutrients. The kelp on the other hand contains over sixty micronutrients and very little macro. I use them both as a foilar spray.

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Whip.
    Btw,just to satisfy my own curiosity,what types of plants do you keep?
    Grice

• rootdiggernc
    18 years ago

Grice there's also a product that has fish and seaweed combined. My plants like it.

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well do tell RootDigger,what's the name of it and where might I find it?
    Also,what plants do you have and which do you use this product on?
    Grice

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    18 years ago

Try here.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: fish/seaweed

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Al.
    Grice

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Hi Grice,

I've wondered that same thing myself. I mean, they both sound healthy enough for our plants, right? I just don't think I could bear the smell of the fish emulsion. Oh, I would heave something terrible! I checked out the link Al provided to HH. Looks pretty good. BTW, did you go out to Lowes this weekend and come home with the fish emulsion or seaweed? LOL

GH

• grice
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Grow,I did indeed go out to Lowes over the holiday weekend and am proud to say that I returned home with fish emolsion.
    Oh yeah,three Philo.'Micans' jumped into my cart and hitched a ride home also.
    Grice

• deshima
    18 years ago

The better fish emulsion are descented to a point, that is very acceptable to me. I use one that has a pleasant mint smell it contains kelp and fulvic acid a growth stimulator. NPK is 4-3-3 it is excellent for foliar application out side. The scent is gone an a coupe of hours if you use a lot. Unfortunately is sold by a multi level marking company, however I have a commercial license to buy it, other wise it is very costly but I think it is still worth it at the retail price. It is most likely the best on the market.

• GingerM
    18 years ago

Another thing to consider with fish emulsion is pets. My dog loves the stuff! I can't use it anymore because he goes around and eats all the plants that have just been fish emulsioned!

• username_5
    18 years ago

Another caveat is don't premix the stuff and leave it sit. It forms semi solid globs that don't like to break up again when left sitting in water for several days. End result is globs of the stuff on the tops of pots that molds.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

No fertilizer whether organic or chemical should not be premixed and left to sit..(most fertilzer containers have warnings)
    It's best to shake the bottle thoroughly before each use. Toni

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery