Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamboochik

Favorite Large Leaf Plants..........

Bamboochik
22 years ago

What are your favorite large leaf plants? Of course we all love gunnera, but I can't grow it here in the deep, hot, south so far...likes those cool, misty, coastal regions...so I always depend on Tetrapanax, Fatsia, Princes Tree, Catalpa, banana, gingers, heliconia, alocasia, colocasia and of course the large hosta's, which I make sure are in deep shade here...great in bamboo groves, banana groves, my deep woods next to fern banks..picture perfect!

Comments (32)

• Andy_Japan
    22 years ago

Hi, Bamboochik. Your post about large-leaved plants, specifically tetrapanax, piqued my interest yet again about why "washi," (Japanese paper) which is made from the pith of tetrapanax, is always called "rice paper."

So I finally did a little research. It seems it's a misnomer, that's all.

Here in Japan, most folks have small gardens so we don't have the luxury of having large-leaved plants. And taros are a root crop that no one finds attractive, LOL. Just like everyone considers miscanthus a tenacious unwelcome weed that they would like to see banished from the face of the earth! Ditto bamboo.

Don't have much shade either, but in those part shade places, I love the hostas. If I had the space, it would have to be fatsia, which adds color and blooms in winter--so cheerful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese paper

• YauponDave
    22 years ago

I'm a big fan of Colocasias, Alocasias, Cannas, Gingers, and Hostas...

• Randyenglish
    22 years ago

I have a few favorites... Alocasias (Portei, Tigrina reticulata plus all the variegated ones), Anthuriums (Colonicum...big), Marantas, Colocasias, Monsteras, Philodendrons, Xanthosomas, Acanthus (Montanus, Mollis), Jotrophas, Cannas (Stuttgart), Bananas..... Hard to pick just one.
    Randy

• JunglePot
    22 years ago

wait a minute, big leave! I love banana, which doesn't go only for decor but also for cooking! Wrap and steam- the leave add the meal entirely one more appeal. And easy to grow from seeds.

Andy, I love taro foliage in here Japan. Even some home architecture magazines in Japan have featured that plant as focal point with a graceful pot- not bad at all. Though my granma considers it as a crop as you said... ;)

• notenoughroses
    22 years ago

Cardoon is my favorite large leaf plant for my hot, dry and sunny garden. I love the large gray leaves, even though they do resemble a thistle. Okay, so it isn't as exotic or striking as gunnera but it does make a nice visual impact in the garden. ~ Suzie

• Bonnyleigh
    22 years ago

My favorite I think has to be elephant ears. I plan to have some of them this year. There's nothing more tropical looking. Others are cannas, hostas, and the aforementioned bananas. I love tropical foliage plants.

• jonpen
    22 years ago

I agree 100% about the instant smack large leaves give. I like them all...particularly those that enhance a tropical and jungle look. One quick fix is using the various improved types of castor beans such as 'Carmencita' and 'New Orleans Intrigue'...both of which will dazzle anybody by their awesome growth into small trees in just one season...the king of all annuals for sure. I have extra seeds to share of both if anybody is interested.

Jon in Vicksburg, Miss.

• trickster
    22 years ago

Hi Jon,
    Could you describe the New Orleans Intrigue castor bean?? I know what the Carmencita looks like but I've not heard of this one. Thanks Rick

• jeff_al
    22 years ago

yes, jon, to echo what rick asked, i would like to know about 'intrugue' as well.
    actually, this summer will be my first time to grow the red-leaved castor bean, ricinus communis 'carmencita'.
    a local art gallery had them growing in the beds around the house and they were quite striking, both foliage and flowers. they interplanted ornamental grasses and crotons with them. it was a very bold color and texture combination.
    i asked for some seed and they shared with me.
    now, if i can just find a spot with enough sun for them.

• aroideana
    22 years ago

There are some fantastic large leafed trees , am not sure about how hardy as i live in the tropics .
    Syzygium megacarpa [thats gotto be spelt wrong ]
    has amazing enormous foliage , fruit to maybe .

• mango
    22 years ago

What about the hardy ones? No ones mentioning them! Darmera, astilboides, petasites, a few ligularias, rodgersia, Rheum palmata ? I love all of them!

• Eric1
    22 years ago

For tropical flair, another great plant is Hibiscus tiliaceus (pictured in the link below). It'll top six feet in a long warm season, with large ovoid to heart-shaped leaves that have purplish tints when young. I have the variegated form which makes a nice outrageous accent in my Ohio garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus tiliaceus

• denisez10
    22 years ago

What? No Melianthus major?

• Pookiesmom
    22 years ago

Aralia californica is nice for shade and nice berries to boot.

• philipw2
    22 years ago

I hate to be so pedestrian about hardy large leaved plants, but the oak leaved hydrangea Snow queen has pretty large leaved. (With the added bonus that, unlike my white bird of paradise, I do not have to get into a marital dispute about where am I going to store that monster this winter.)

• mrsgottln
    22 years ago

Jonpen, I would love to have a few of your castor bean seeds if you don't mind. I am currently growing a Gunnera and would love to include the castor bean. Thanks. Terri

• nanw_4wi
    21 years ago

I love Trevesias.

• dobbie
    21 years ago

I am probably the only one, but I think rhubarb plants can really compliment a lush shade garden. And, being a perennial, you do not have to 'store' the plant during the winter.

• JohnnieB
    21 years ago

Devil's walking stick, Aralia spinosa, is a hardy suckering shrub with very large, very tropical-looking compound leaves.

• Bamboochik
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Yes, I love this one, too. It grows wild all over my acreage so I don't even have to plant it.

• abutilon
    21 years ago

canna iridiflora
    canna musafolia 'Grande'
    canna musafolia
    canna purpurea types
    canna Mystique

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    21 years ago

Astilboides Tabularis is quite grand!

• Nigella
    21 years ago

Hmmmmm, no-one has mentioned Piper auritum! Lovely large, velvety, heart-shaped leaves with the added bonus of that wonderful rootbeer scent! The largest leaf in my own garden is Xanthosoma sagittafolia, the garden is small so I am always removing a lot of babies, lol, but I just love the things.

• bouquet
    21 years ago

I like the shape of the big hostas but needed a full sun alternative... so I planted a comfrey plant near the edge of one of my beds. Now that I've already done it, I hear that they're invasive if allowed to reseed. Does anyone in zone 8 know anything I should know about this plant? I'm only interested in it as an ornamental...

• MeMyselfAndI
    21 years ago

Plants don't have to be tropical to have large leaves. My mom has a 'bluebells' which I think is a mertensia - probably virginica - that gets really big leaves - over a foot long.

• CathyJ
    21 years ago

Telekia speciosa; it has yellow daisy-like flowers, but its large lush foliage allows me to overlook this fault.

Cathy

• CathyJ
    21 years ago

Heracleum's a good one, too.

Cathy

• Brians24
    21 years ago

Well, this question would be right up my alley as that about all I grow. But manly aroids. So probably Alocasia and Colocasia forms would be my favorite as well as Xanthosomas. Oh and philodendrons and Anthuriums Cyrtospermas lasias urospathas monsteras syngoniums. Oh and then the hardy ones petasites ligularia rhubarb gunnera. As you can see I need help. Their are just so many and so little time.

• texas_eyes
    21 years ago

Taros, Bananas, and Cannas, for sure!!

"eyes"

• Ron_B
    21 years ago

Magnolia macrophylla.

• ottumwa
    20 years ago

gotta love sum and substance hosta after a few years. they can be monsters!!

• msjay2u
    16 years ago

i need to know a large leaf showy plant that I can grow in North Carolina zone 7 prefer an evergreen if possible if not something i can cut down in the winter and it will come back
    Thanks

Sponsored