Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbgardengal

Chinese Fan Palm - DEAD!!!!

bbgardengal
19 years ago

Hi everyone,

I work at a place that has a chinese fan palm that was just beautiful! This is what happened: I went in on Monday, and watered the plant like usual, and the palm was gorgeous (its in a Library). Then I went in again on Wednesday (two days later) and the whole thing was dried completely up! All of the leaves (there were about 15 of them) were brittle and dry. WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED? Please help me! I cut off all the leaves except for one, that seemed to be alive a little still. Do you think this plant is going to come back? And what do you think happened?

Thanks so much for your time!

~Terra

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    19 years ago

Terra, aside from water did you use any chemicals? How long has the palm been living in the library? Fan Palms, prefer cooler temps than other types of palms..If a room is hot/stuffy, this can cause brown leaves to death. Or if you applied fertilizer it may have burnt the roots. Does anyone at the library add other substinces? Toni

• wutime
    16 years ago

Likely unrelated, but I recently came home from Walmart with 3 chinese fan palms and they're doing well, but some of the leaves are very dry and brittle (dying).

I believe the leaves on mine are dying because I exported tehm from Walmart on a day that was -10c; bitterly cold and some of hte leaves were exposed.

Cheers

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

bbgardengal, FIFTEEN palm fronds turning from green to brown in TWO days has to be something abiotic. We had to remove the oldest frond on a Caryota palm each week for 3 successive weeks. The fronds were not completely brown but some browning was present on each 'fishtail'. The problem occured on only one of three such palms that receive exactly the same treatment every two weeks. In the individual opinion of five persons, all knowledgeable in the field of palms, something was poured at the roots. The floor of the building had been cleaned about a week before the first frond was removed and it has been surmised that some of the spent cleaning solution was poured into the container. The prognosis for the palm is not good.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Wutime..that IS freezing..normally, an hour or so after bringing a frost-bitten plant indoors, the leaves turn a grayish color. The gray is frost.
    The same thing happened to me last month..I bought a dracaena..it wasn't exposed more than 2 mins..after getting it home, approximately 45 mins later, 1/3rd foliage grayed...
    As long as roots aren't damaged your fan palm should be fine..though the leaves are lost..depending on marks, you can probably cut around damaged foliage..Good luck, Toni

• susanbrian
    14 years ago

That is very bizarre story. I am guessing someone applied some kind of chemical. Chinese Fan Palm trees are drought tolerant and can handle cold down to 10F. If your palm is not doing well don't cut half died leaves since it causes stress for the palm tree. Let them dry out before removing them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Fan Palm

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022