Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus Elastica suffering from freeze please advice

Posted by sunshine98 Z9 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 04 at 4:13

Other years I was able to bring in my rubber tree but I transplanted it last year into a wooden planter that my husband made for me and it was too heavy and big to bring in this year. Well, we had some very cold nights and I'm afraid it damaged it. All the leaves dried up and died and the tips of the long trunks (plant is about 5 feet high) are wilted and soggy looking, yet the rest of the trunks look and feel fine. Is it a matter of sit back and wait to see if leaves form or do I do something to it to help it out? Or have I lost it forever. Any advice will greatly be appreciate it. Thank-you.
Sincerely and respectfully,
sunshine98 E-mail---perkisun@aol.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus Elastica suffering from freeze please advice

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 1, 04 at 9:59

If tissues at the root crown were protected enough so they didn't freeze, and of course - the roots are still viable, it will come back. If it does, I wouldn't be too surprised if you notice some badly deformed leaves for a while due to the cold. Prune away any mushy dead growth. Keep it on the very dry side while you wait to prevent root rot.

Al

o
RE: Ficus Elastica suffering from freeze please advice

• Posted by Jeff_W z7 MD / VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 13, 04 at 23:28

Hey Sunshine,

I dug up my small elastica from the yard after several nights in the low twenties, and I think one in the teens. I kept it semidry in the basement all winter. It started sending up new albino branches after a couple months. It is still inside, but in the sun and looking good now. I cut away all the dead braches. Ficus elastica is comoonly considered a dieback in zone 9. Maybe try roxburghii (sp?) for your zone. Woodlanders has a dieback for zone 8. Maybe it could be deciduous for you in zone 9.

Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here