Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?evergreen

Posted by Tennessee z7TN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 04 at 16:17

This may not be the correct forum for this problem but here goes. I planted several emerald green arobrvitae three years ago and they were doing great, but now several of them have huge brown dead sections on them. Someone suggested it might be bagworms but I don't see any. I did have a problem with bagworms last year with one of the plants and I pulled them off and burned them. Help! I don't want to lose these plants. They would be very expensive to replace.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?evergreen

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 04 at 17:05

Thuja is a funny tree in that, more than any other tree I can think of, branches depend on certain roots. Old trees in the wild will sometimes have almost the whole tree rotted away except for one or two life-lines (veins to some) that feed a branch each. For that reason I would suspect mechanical root damage, or possibly salt if near roadway, sidewalk, or driveway. Thuja isn't too susceptible to winter burn, so it's not likely the cause, especially if only individual branches are involved, but it's possible if the damage is on the south to southwest facing portion of the tree(s). It's so difficult to guess w/o seeing the damage.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here