Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help for my Polka Dot!

Posted by christianm2b2 z8 Austin, TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 04 at 16:42

I planted these around my flower bed about 8 days ago. Yesterday, I noticed that something was eating them. I sprayed them with a spray that said it was safe for hypoestes. Today I am noticing that they are kind of "wilty" and not as crisp. They are also turning white. Is there anything I can do to make them perk up? My husband thinks I can get a refund from the nursery since they are so new. He says they probably already had insects and that they came from the nursery. My other plants are not damaged. Can anyone give me some advise?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help for my Polka Dot!

Might be too much sun all of a sudden! The leaves turning pale is a giveaway! I think you should slowly acclimatize newly purchased plants to full sun. Even though Greenhouses seem sunny and bright, there IS plastic covering them. I think, outdoors, they prefer morning sun or filtered sun. The chewing is probably slugs. BIG ones...(you DO live in Texas!):-)

Also, don't be surprised that your Polka Dots eventually grow to about 10-12" tall. They also send up a spike at the end of summer with itty-bitty blooms on it. PD plants are sprayed with a growth retardant so they look cute and compact when sold. That spray does not last forever!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here