Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jelyda14

Wilting Coleus, help!

jelyda14
17 years ago

Hello, I am new to raising Coleus. I just recently purchased one and researched how to care for it, but I am having trouble.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could help and answer a few questions for me, I don't want to lose my coleus!!

I planted the Coleus in a mix of potting soil and perlite with a few stones at the bottom of the pot to help with drainage. The plant wilts after about 5 hours of being watered, but the soil is still moist. I water it again and it perks back up for a bit.

So far, I am watering the plant 2-3 times a day. It seems like too much water, but I do not know what else to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

How often should the plant be watered?

Also, I am in Zone 7, how much sunlight should my Coleus receive? I am not sure what type I have, but the leaves are pink in the middle, with marroon outside of that, and green on the very edges of the leaf. I have not been able to find a picture or name of the Coleus that I have. So far, I have been giving the plant indirect sunlight.

Thanks for any advice!!!

- Jen

Comments (3)

• Josh
    17 years ago

Jen, If the soil used was labeled "potting soil" then perhaps the perlite isn't necessary. Also, in recent years lots of research has found that stones aren't necessary for drainage in pots. Just be sure there are holes in the pot and fill with soil alone.

Size of pot can be the problem. Some Coleus have 1 to 2 inch leaves and stay 12 inches tall while others can be 36 inches tall with 4 to 6 inch leaves and need larger pot. So do you think you increased the size of your pot enough when repotting? Was the original pot very full of roots? Might have needed spreading out a bit in the new soil. The roots may not be growing out into the new soil.

Coleus do grow rapidly so require more water than slower growing plants but omce a day even in sunshine outdoors should be enough. Indoors in winter every 3=4 days or for some once weekly will do. At least that's my experience.

You might want to take a cutting or two to be sure you have a backup while you are finding the solution. Coleus root easily in water. Part sun is probably fine if leaves aren't burning or fading in color. Some Coleus can take full sun even here in the south but since you're unsure, best to go carefully. Good luck. josh

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

Back to when you repotted: if you just took the plant out of the old pot and placed it in the new one it may still be tangled up in its old root ball.

If you take it out again, shake off the new mix and take a look.

The bottom of the ball needs to be open at this point. No mat of roots at the bottom. If there is - take an old but sharp knife and slice off an eighth to a fourth of that bottom tangle.

Take a chop stick or similar and gently tease out SOME of the old mix in the middle. Enough so the ends of the roots are free of old mix.

If your preferred mix comes with grit or perlite added you may not need any more. If it is peat-based then you might. The added grit helps the plant to form a good foraging root mass.

Instead of the pebbles at the bottom lay in a piece of fine plastic mesh - or a tissue - to hold the mix in the pot. (The pebbles drain just fine but the mix is more dense. When you water a little wet patch forms between the mix and the pebbles - and the roots at the bottom can die.)

Plant the roots over a little cone of mix that you place above a base layer of about half an inch. Then fill up around the roots with the new mix, and tap the pot on the bench to settle the mix. Leave about half an inch between the top of the mix and the top of the pot so you can water deeply. Ease back as winter comes in unless you have clear skies for most of the time.

The cuttings are absolutely easy - and well worth doing.

I've found Coleus to do well in bright but indirect light. Do remember to turn it so all sides grow evenly.

• jelyda14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I repotted the plant into a larger size pot and didn't worry about adding extra perlite.
    it stopped wilting, so maybe it was the size of the pot? I don't know why that didn't even cross my mind.

I appreciate the help, thanks!!