Houzz Logo Print
kdjoergensen

Foilage plants for shade

kdjoergensen
21 years ago

Can you recommend some good plants for shade with varigated foilage,

before you answer I already have:

hostas, japanese fern, coleus...

It is other plants than the above I am looking for...

Comments (8)

• marquest
    21 years ago

How much shade? Full Shade? Morning sun how many hours? Aftrnoon sun how many hours?

• peeper
    21 years ago

Their are different kinds of ivy's, Fatsia japonica 'snowflake' and 'spidersweb', Fatshedra lizei variegata, many different grasses and irises. I am a variegated nut that will always find a new plant that I can't have because I am running out of room and will need to relocate wife, son, dogs, and squirrels. Just kidding but squirrels need to go. Theirs a world of plants out there that are variegated for shade.Theres also a beautiful new variegated gardenia that seems to do well in colder spots.

• marquest
    21 years ago

I hAve a lot of shade the folloeing is what I have.
    Varigated Solomon seal - Deep shade
    Jacobs ladder - Shade 3 hr sun
    varigated eucalyptus - 3 hr sun
    Jack in the Pulpit - deep shade
    Ghost" fern. - deep shade
    Frosty Morn Sedum - 3hr
    Beacon Silver Lamium - deep shade
    variegated lacecap hydrangea - 3 hr
    caladium - 3 hrs

• schenley
    21 years ago

Have you looked at Brunnera and Heuchera's to go with your Hosta? Great combinations! If you have enough moisture, Astilbe also go well.

• philipw2
    21 years ago

It isn't verigated, but my hardy begonia (begonia evansii?)has interesting foliage. Sort of like a coladium, but green with heavy heavy red veining. (Depending on depth of shade the green gets a tinge of bronze.) OK in dry shade and heavy clay soil. Typical pink begonia flowers in late summer early fall followed by seed pods. Clumps slowly expand. Only real flaw is that is comes up late in spring and you might mistakenly plant something over it.

• marquest
    21 years ago

I am going to try a canna that the Canna forum is discussing needs some shade. If you have some sun it might be an option if you need some height in your garden.

Canna Stuttgart

• Alfie7b
    20 years ago

I am surprised no one has mentioned Aucuba Japonica. It is a shrub but the gold shaded leaves look great in the shade.

• jakkom
    20 years ago

I love variegated plants and have many partially shaded beds. However, my zone is much warmer than yours so these may not work for you.

Magilla perilla does well in half-shade, looks just like one of those tri-color coleus but is a tender evergreen perennial. The colorful pelargonium hortorum hybrids with their fancy variegated leaves also like half-shade.

Variegated helichrysums do quite well in bright shade.

In a partially sunny spot, I have a Rhamnus alaternus variegata (variegated Buckthorn, a small tree or shrub) which seems to be quite happy. It grows pretty fast and really brightens up a bed.

Although extremely finicky, when happy there is no more beautiful variegated plant than the Abutilon pictum 'Thompsonii'. The maple-shaped, yellow splashed leaves are a showstopper. More people ask me about this plant than any other. Again, a partial sun location suits this plant best.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms